The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read on Facebook from the stony brook Southampton coastal and estuarine research center that ronkonkoma has experienced a blue green algae bloom and they have shut down the islip beach. anybody been down to the lake? Will this cause a fish kill?

·
Unicorn Chaser
871 Posts
hmm I was there last week it was clear but who knows, I read that two lakes out in eastern Suffolk had blue algae bloom recently though.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm there every day,water clarity changes with the wind..today was windy,its gonna be cloudy on the north side..s. Side will be flat calm & clear..I'm nit sure what the water looks like with a bloom.so who knows..they need to go tell all the bathers @ the ramp & county park that there is no swimming,due to bloom..no one swims @ islip beach any more..they all swim where it is illegal too..

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was on the lake this morning on my boat. In some parts of the lake I had 2.5 feet of surface clutter on my sonar graph. In other parts of the lake it was crystal clear, nothing on the graph on top at all. It was like pee soup right off the ramp in between the Islip beach and the Smithtown park. I guess you could call it algae plume. I've seen it that way before in the spring when the pollen count is high. No pictures today just annoying white perch, I must have caught 20 of them.

Charlie Y

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.