The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Staying in a house located by Hyde Bay. Sept. 23-26. I will have use of a kayak and a canoe. Any fishing info would be helpful. Trying to beat the learning curve. Because this is not a dedicated fishing trip. I will be celebrating my 30th wedding anniversary ,but my wife is willing to take some time to go fishing with me. I would love for her to catch something as well as myself. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I've fished there a few times awhile back - last time being in 2009. Here's my suggestions - info for what it's worth....

1. This is an EXTREMELY clear lake.... you can clearly see bottom in 20 feet. So read up on clear lake fishing!!!!

2. In Hyde Bay - fished in there a couple times without much success (could be my fault) It looks like a great spot with humps of weeds but we didn't find many takers. We stayed out far from docks - so that might be the ticket in that area.... we didn't want to venture into areas people were swimming trying to be courteous to people who were out enjoying the lake.

3. Found the east side of the lake to be OK - targeted the typical shore stuff (laydowns, etc.) if you can find a nice weedbed (there weren't that many) you should find some fish.

3. There is/was an enormous section of weeds out in the main lake over the "sunken island". The sunken island is roughly north west of Hyde Bay - look on Google Earth you'll see it. Caught a couple fish here, but it's fairly deep and drops off to VERY deep. Also a lot of boat traffic on weekends - so not sure being in the middle of the lake is a wise idea in a kayak.

4. Wear something bright - again there are a good amount of pleasure boats - we were guilty once of not seeing swimmers practicing for a triathlon swimming out way far from shore - our fault and luckily it wasn't too close - but that put us on notice pretty quickly... would have been nice if the swimmers weren't in black wet suits with black swim caps!!!

5. We found our best luck was dawn/sunset as you'd expect and when we had some rain. Typical clear lake type things but you can catch some nice fish at those times... I pulled in a 6lb walleye on a crankbait... was fishing for bass but didn't complain!!!

Good luck.

J.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.