The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note; this report is in two parts due to picture limit
My step grandfather is a part-owner of the Roxy hotel in cape Vincent. As such we got a free one week stay at the "place where the river (St. Lawrence) and the lake (Ontario) meet.

For someone boat-less Ontario and Lawrence are very tough to fish from shore. Because of the deal we were allowed to splurge on a charter. I decided to go for Salmon, so I posted on a local forum, asking which charter is best. A guy messaged me saying he wasn't a charter but would take us out, if we would pay for gas and maybe give him a tip afterwards. The pictures and the fact that he has never gotten skunked sealed the deal. We set the trip for Friday.

In the meantime, we hung around the lake. We went on a hike that ended on a st Lawrence tributary. The next time I went I brought fishing rods. It was a deep fairly quick river with weeds on either end.

I quickly caught a small bass on a powerbait quick twitch minnow.
My dad for the first time wanted to get in on the action. He has never really fished before. I set him up on a medium light rod with a grub. I heard shouting and came back to my dad with the chunky 1 lber

I then turned to my favorite pattern of a tough summer, submerged tree branches. I quickly got a hit on a beaver, and brought in a 2 lber.

Before we trekked 2 miles back, I made a few more casts to the farther branches of the tree. I got a good hit and set the hook on something heavy. The rod bent down and pumped. Unfortunately the fish dove into the weeds right after the hookset. A few more seconds later and the weight disappeared. This would have been my pb lmb, which I would estimate at about 4 lbs. based on fight. So that was disappointing.

Thursday I went to the Salmon River to fish. It was way too early, but I had a good time wading in the river. I had a 20 pound salmon jump up river not ten feet away from me. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to hit anything.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyway, now the exciting part. While I wasn't completely sure about fishing with guys who I had never met, we went to the dock 3:30 on Friday.
We were out on the waters of Oswego bay by four. We set up two downriggers, two dipsy divers and two copper wire planar boards.

We quickly got a hit on a downrigger fishing 110 feet deep, a soft hit that barely released the weight. The first mate got to the rod first and while exchanging the rod he fish got off.

The same downrigger went off again, with my dad spotting the bite. The first mate got to it first and this time the fish was on. This time I successfully got it to the boat. No pictures but a video of the fish.

The next fish was a big one. The copper planar rod went off; this time I saw the hit. There was about 500 feet of line out at the time. This time my dad and I shared the fish. Battling them really puts a strain on your arms and a lot of pain in your stomach. I was able to land him at 28 pounds.

We then got another downrigger hit and for the first time, I was the first one at the rod. I set the hook and fought the fish.

At one point it greyhounded across the top of the water. T The first pass at the boat, the net man missed the fish. The spooked Chinook dove to the left, tearing out drag. I didn't recover quickly enough and it pulled my line into the downrigger, snapping it.

We thought that at four hits resulting in two fish, they day was over. We were finishing our last pass, when I saw the dipsy diver get a hit. I set the hook, and reeled in a 22 lb. female. The phone battery was dead though, so only pictures were back at the dock. Here is the third fish with the first mate.

We cleaned the fish and went home the next day (a six hour drive, and feeling sore from the fights which averaged 20 minutes.)

All in all it was a great trip on a great boat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.