The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I got out mid-week for a short after work trip, but the weather looked right and I had the itch so I went for it

All I can say is what an awesome 2.5 - 3 hour trip. I used Keitech 3.8" Swing Impact (fat) on 1/4 oz. lead heads on the A-rig

I started at 5:45 and I shot this video of the release at 8:25.

http://youtu.be/qPRxa631h8Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPRxa631h8Y&feature=c4-overview&list=UUe2Yxrfd2Iqa3RAjTonQorA

Then I came home cleaned the two walleye, made my lunch for work tomorrow and now I'm ready for the sack

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marty- I don't think the winner will leave the river and they'll certainly have more that 2.5 hrs of fishing time :whistling and remember this report is how to catch them on the A-rig after work.... not how to win a tournament

I believe the biggest smallies in the Lake & river system feed almost exclusively on gobies and the A-rig just can't duplicate or immitate those tastey little nuggets. :thumb:

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
nice report as always Burnie. I was cracking up as you were tossing the smallies so nonchalantly into the water.
...but if out just fishing for fun? why do you keep small mouth in the live well? wouldnt it be best to release asap and as close as possible to where they were caught?
I'm a rowboat C&R guy, so a live well is neither an option nor a consideration for me. just curious. thanks and well done

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Klunker

When I have another person with me we try to do the CPR (Catch, Photo & Release)... but when you have limited time, you're all by yourself and the bite's on I just toss them in the live well.

And when the trips over I shoot photos then release them.

I estimate these smallies roam the bay following the bait balls so as long as you release them back in the bay I think they'll do just fine.

What's also weird about smallies is the ones in river systems have been documented to travel 70-80 miles in one season.

In the early 80s In-fisherman did a telemetry study on the Fox River and they learned the smallies mirgated that far to find the best winter pools.

And that makes me think moving them around in the live wll for 1/4 mile or more, then dropping them back in the bay isn't going to hurt them any or make them lose their home range, because their range is where ever those bait balls are.

Also I think all fishing stories are enjoyable, but I usually find the stories with supporting photos or video's the most believable

Have a better one and keep those fishing reports coming

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
Burnie, The A-Rig is a great tournament bait, but I just don`t like throwing that clumsy thing for long periods of time. I have nothing against using it, but it`ll just wear you down. Maybe the ones I`ve been throwing are too heavy. I make my own.
Yeah, I think the Elite will be won in the River. I`m coming up tomorrow & plan to catch all the 6 lbers before those Elitists show up.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys when these Lake Ontario smallies are chewing its a fun bite you don't want to miss

And if they're eating this good right now I'm really looking forward to fishing in late September early October

It should be game on

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.