The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im hearing information that The lake George assoc is trying or has succeeded in raising a usage fee and a power washing fee of an absurd amount of money every time you launch. Something about a seal put on the trailer and boat and if the seal has been broken meaning the boat has been launched prior to launching at lake george the rig and trailer will be power washed and the fee will be imposed. I would like more details if anybody knows the particulars on this. Sounds like they are trying to kill the transient boating crowd and tournaments all together. I have to think that the area will suffer from a huge drop in vacationers money

·
Banned
92 Posts
We have a tourny there this weekend. Way I understand it, since the state didn't pass the law this year for mandatory washing & inspections ( bill is before legislature now and prob will be law next year), the LG Assoc. purchased several washers at their own $$ for voluntary washes. Haven't heard anything about a seal on rig, and the assoc. made up of business owners obviously can't enforce something that isn't a law yet, though their intentions are good since the "flea" that is attempting to contaminate the lake is supposedly nasty. As far as huge drop of vacationers $$, the assoc. really couldnt care about us bassers. We tow our boats in filled up w/gas, buzz around the lake, fish ( prob to the annoyance of all those NJ & CT weekend homeowners), and then leave. Most don't stay in the area. Even if there are a few bassers that stay overnite, won't make any $$ difference. The real $$ is from the big boats that stay anchored and never used,families in hotels, taxes etc.....Read a while back that once washing & inspection is mandatory, along w/ lake pass, that launching could total $75 +....You won't find me fishing there or prob. many tournys, and the lake assoc. & homeowners won't miss us at all.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im up there this weekend with NETB also Im gonna do some asking around and see if this is actually gonna happen. Isnt the launch at the north end a state run ramp. How can they impose a fee on a state launch. Sounds like the candlewood saga all over again They buy land on a lake then complain that theres too many boaters Like buying land cheap near an airport an whine about the noise planes make

·
Banned
92 Posts
Saratoga STATE launch...I believe fee there is $8 or $10. Rogers Rock STATE launch on Lk George $10. The fees increase every year or two, like the fishing & hunting licenses. Pretty sure that the Mossy Point STATE launch on the north end is free.....go figure !!

·
Registered
658 Posts
You will have your chance to fight it through the comment period. it is a lot of work and you need to get everyone to write in and flood the comment period with your concerns. If people don't take the time, the rich people will close you out. It would be ridiculous that they would receive tax payer dollars for those launches and campsites and then turn around and charge $75 - $100 to launch a boat. That would keep the average person out!

FYI: When we traveled their with the NYS Bass Chapter Federation we could show that Ticonderoga and the surrounding area could realize a $100,000 type of boost to their economy for that week. I am sure we can get you the exact numbers when the time comes.

Can't stress enough the need to organize and to be proactive!

·
LM BASS
2,588 Posts
Sounds Like "The Commission" is God on all matters. We don't have a chance in this game.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Who's paying all the inspectors? Who's buying the cleaning machines? Are they going to clean my oars, anchor and such that may have come in contact with other bodies of water?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
A few years ago we stayed at one the the State run campsites on the islands. It costs us over $200 to launch by the end of it for a weekend stay. Unfortunately we used a private marina launch. Charged us to launch and take out and then charged a parking fee per day for the truck and trailernot to mention the boating sticker you have to get for the lake. It was absolutely crazy and was the last time my father or myself will ever put a boat on that lake.

·
Registered
72 Posts
welcome to Lake George guys!!!! I heard from a buddy of mine this afternoon that the Northeast team guys came back to find the Mossy Point area swarming with Lake George Park Commission patrols and guys who had weeds on their trailer bunks in the parking lot got tickets.The Commission is not doing anything to dispels the notion that the ultimate goal is to rid Lake George of all but privileged who can afford property on the lake or the exorbitant prices. From what my buddy told me, Northeast Team is done with Lake George.

·
GET THE NET!
345 Posts
That is indeed correct.

Park patrol was waiting on the dock as boats were loading for weigh in. I saw the patrol officer go up to at least 2 anglers and write tickets. One of the anglers was hit for $250.00 for having milfoil on their trailer and another I heard was was hit for $500.00 for having milfoil and also water chestnuts on their trailer.

The kicker here was all trailers were inspected in the morning by the lake stewards on site. Granted it may be tough to see under the trailer with the boat on it......but this was certainly a downer for anglers nabbed during weigh in.

Anyone going to LG in the future may want to ensure every inch of the trailer is clean of all weeds/chestnuts. Most anglers understand and do this regularly but it seems they are looking with a fine tooth comb.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I launched at Rogers Rock July 27th - was inspected and questioned for at least 5 min, where I keep my boat, how I store my boat and so on, since my daughter has been playing travel softball I haven't used my boat since June 9th on Lake Champlain. They said since it was over a month I'd be OK.... Paid the $10 fee to launch & yes both of the workers sitting there inspecting all boats do get paid. When I parked my trailer I did look very closely for any weeds on the trailer. Its really too bad what they are doing to the lake - I absolutely love fishing George but I have a feeling that's all going to be ending soon, no way am I going to pay those fee's to fish!

Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was one of the anglers who was hit with a ticket(s) for invasive species. Below is how the incident occurred and a few thoughts.

After trailering the boat, an officer approached and told me that my trailer had been inspected while I was out on the lake and an invasive species (water chestnut) had been found. I was to receive 2 tickets, one for transporting the invasive & another for launching.

I understand these laws, their intentions & I take steps to abide by them (as I told the individual who had inspected the boat & trailer in the morning prior to launching). I keep my boat and trailer very clean and there has not been a single time this year that it has not been washed thoroughly at the local carwash after being out.

I explained this to the officer and asked if he could show me the species that was found or if he could show me the area on the trailer where the infraction occurred. He told me that he had not performed the inspection and he could not, only that it was found underneath one of the bunks on the trailer.

He then told me that Lake George and the people of the community spend a significant amount of time and money to prevent the spread of invasive species. I respectfully told the officer that I understand the sensitivity of the subject on Lake George as well as the money spent by the community as my family and I own property on the lake and contribute to these projects (whether or not we agree with their excessive nature) in the form of significant property taxes. His tone changed after learning this but none the less explained to me the infractions are “just fines” and that if I wanted to appeal I could show up in court on the later to be named date.

To me it seems as tournament anglers (and our tournament specifically) we were no doubt singled out by the LG Parks Commission. From the morning trailer inspection then the thorough trailer and bunk inspection to the 3 or 4 police boats specifically positioned and shooting radar as we made our way back to the launch. This group has a lot of resources and motivation and unfortunately it looks like they are succeeding to drive away not only tournament anglers but all outside anglers and recreational boaters. They raise prices wherever possible, give excessive fines and develop programs such as the mandatory boat washes to drive “outsiders” away. Growing up some of my most cherished memories are on Lake George and it is truly one of the most beautiful places in the country. It is disheartening that less and less people will be able to share these experiences due to over regulation and the backwards motives of the Parks Commission.

·
Catching is better...
4,643 Posts
I received the below email from the president of the Onondaga County Federation of Sportsmen Clubs, Stephen Wowelko... **Onondaga County is approximately 3 1/2 hours from Lake George - if you have any idea as how they are concerned about the impact of this upcoming proposed regulation**

This impacts ALL of us who use public access on various waterways. I was also told over the phone that there are several Adirondack parks waiting to see how this regulatory process goes to determine if they too will be following suit. All I can say is you should read this and take it very seriously. CUS

I thought it important to share this information with the sportsmen on my mailing list.

When I first read about some proposed regulations on boat inspections/ boat washing/decontamination on Lake George, I thought - so what's the big deal. Then I read into the regulations and realized that if implemented these regulations could set precedence for the rest of the state. What really bothered me was the scare tactics used instead of factual science to try to convince us that this is good thing. Even more - it could restrict access to fishermen.

Some of the sticking points in this proposed regulation are that it would require the DEC to gate and lock its two main launches on Lake George, at Rogers Rock and Mossy Point, when inspectors aren't on site. Inspectors might not be on site until 9:00am. The best fishing is usually around sunrise.

I'm attaching a copy of a note I received which was verified by a DEC biologist. It does a good job identifying biological facts and what impact it could have if the precedence is set if this regulation is implemented.

I encourage you read the Draft Regulations Requiring Watercraft Inspections for AIS and write a comment to the Lake George Commission voicing your concerns:
Lake George Park Commission
75 Fort George Road, PO Box 749
Lake George, New York 12845
Phone: 518-668-9347
Facsimile: 518-668-5001
General Email: [email protected]

We will discuss it at our Onondaga County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs monthly meeting on August 19 at the Bridgeport Rod and Gun Club.

"Public Boat Launch Closed Until An Inspector Is On Site"� could be coming to a lake near you.

Stephen Wowelko
President, Onondaga County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs

---forwarded note:
Hunters, Fishers, and Boaters,

You should all be aware that although the SEQR process has yet to be completed with the development of findings, the Lake George Park Commission (LGPC) has determined that a system of mandatory inspection and boat washing should be instituted on Lake George. This will be the only program of its kind on a publicly accessible natural lake in the eastern US. As many of you know extreme programs such as these have usually been restricted to large reservoirs in the West with limited access that have not yet been colonized with Zebra and Quagga Mussels. LGPC and its allies did an excellent job of instilling fear in the locals around Lake George that this was the only program that would prevent the introduction of 1000's of new Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) into Lake George. Science had very little to do with any of this, as species such as sea lamprey, white perch, alewife and a host of other species not transported by boats or trailers were all used to make this point. The following statement from the Fund for Lake George is an excellent example of the fabrications created to push this program, "The quagga mussel represents the biggest threat and would be devastating to Lake George". The fact is that Lake George and most of the other Adirondack waters are too soft and have far too little calcium for Quagga Mussel to flourish (they need calcium to build their shells). Zebra mussels have been in Lake George for 10+ years and have (as LGPC concedes) not acted invasively. Didymo and Chinese Mitten are also listed as species of concern, despite the fact that both species are not known to inhabit inland lakes and at least for the latter are not transported by boats. The Asian Clam, which was the impetus for this effort, is not a species routinely transported by boats and it has been found in NY for over 30 years, including many waters where boats are not permitted. This species is a popular food item with certain ethnic groups and intentional releases are believed to be the primary reason for its introduction. The Lake George AIS plan and the rules to be promulgated only address boats and trailers and ignore other pathways for the spread of AIS.

This plan likely poses a significant risk to future public access to the freshwaters of the State of New York. (FYI - this is a NYS DEC official writing this...) As reflected in the Denpubs article below other waters near Lake George are now considering similar restrictive programs and rumor has it many other lake associations are looking at Lake George as a role model for this issue. What is particularly concerning is the prospects of having DEC sites on the lake closed when inspection stations are not open and the implications to transient anglers and boaters should this happen. Apparently, to date, the majority of correspondence that DEC and the Governor's office have received have been in favor of this restrictive program (mostly Lake George residents and environmental groups). Little has been heard from angling, boating and hunting groups that could potentially face limited hours of use and other restrictions.

Many will say that this is only Lake George which is already one of the most expensive to boat on and heavily restricted waters in the state. The reality is that once this precedent is set, other waters will be sure to follow. No one is arguing that our waters need to be protected from from AIS, but there are ways that it can be done without impacting boating and angling in this fashion. DEC is drafting some Q&A material concerning the subject that should soon be available on the website. This information represents scientific facts that, for the most part, are absent from the justification that the LGPC is using for its mandatory boat inspection and washing program. It's important that all of you make the various sportsmen groups, etc. you deal with aware of the Lake George situation and encourage them to participate in the public comment period associated with the rulemaking process. They should also make those who will be involved with the final decision concerning what form of program will be implemented on Lake George aware of their feelings. Draft regulations and the DGEIS that this evolved from can be found at http://www.lgpc.state.ny.us/. Rumor has it that comments need to be made by sometime in September, but those interested in commenting should regularly visit the LGPC website where the official timetable should be posted.
Some recent press concerning this subject follows below.

http://poststar.com/news/local/lake-george-commission-votes-to-create-mandatory-boat-washi ng-inspection/article_79d1b386-f3bb-11e2-866d-001a4bcf887a.html

http://www.dailygazette.net/standard/ShowStoryTemplate.asp?Path=SCH/2013/07/24&ID=Ar00 100&Section=National

http://www.denpubs.com/news/2013/may/16/chester-buy-boat-washing-station-boost-inspection- /?page=1

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
WOW... More reasons boat ownership sucks... Alotta lakes with these inspectors I won't go to... you not gonna get any prgress on lake george... thats a money filled group up there... I'll stick to my my contanimated waters i like...

·
Catching is better...
4,643 Posts
Ice - disagree brother.

You think Lake George is a money filled group? Maybe, but do you think they generate $2 billion dollars annually in New York revenue that fishing generates and how does that compare to 300,000 votes?

Not comparison. However, what shoots us, the angling community, in the foot is the idea that we as a group of individuals, we couldn't possibly make a difference.

Something I have been saying for at least 10 years... if I could get just 1% of just New York bass anglers (about 3,000 people) to actually take the time to write a couple paragraphs in a timely and organized fashion touting the same general message, and sending that to the proper people we would have one of the most powerful lobbying groups out there.

I promise you. if we got 10% of our numbers. That would be 30,000 people. Imagine if you will, 30,000 letters going to Cuomo's office, DEC Region 5, State Legislators??

So I disagree. It isn't money that wins, it is apathy that loses.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I gotta problem with my stuff getting inspected when I'm not there... by a 3rd party... Who's to say somebody didn't put that on there when your not there... lotta riff raff hang out at mossy point at times, nightime... I'd consider fighting the tickets... Sounds like a sweeeeet little revenue generator they got there... They gonna inspect snowmobiles?? ice fishermen?? passing waterfowl?? FYI... they have been known to track your launching via plates... I've caught them twice doing that... Be loud, be a jerk... make their days miserable... continue launching your boat while they inspect it... make them call somebody... worked everytime for me... "can I put this invasive sticker on your trailer" Bite me... don't touch my stuff... big fun taking the kids out fishing having some college kid lecture you... work study...
"you're not suppose to launch before I got here this morning" tough crap for you, get up earlier... tell your mother I said hi...
I had this on otsego lake... guy said I needed to wash boat... 20$ at city building... I bitched then he let me launch... pay to launch now... stopped going... guy is payed to sit there and check boats... may 1st to oct 30th... for zero revenue... lake is now loaded with zebras... fishing sucks
you guys do things thru proper channels... i'll do things my way...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.