The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:peace: Since I am on my way to the North Country Roundup next week I am spending a few days at my Mom's in Edinburg. I decided to skip Great Sacandaga today and spent the day on Lake Algonquin which is a short trip up route 30 (23 miles from my Mom's). I arrived at 7:30am and fished until about 3:30 before a huge storm came through and soaked me. I started with throwing a Pop-R around the weeds and flipping/pitching a PowerTeam texas-rig jig into the bigger clumps and around docks. For the first hour or so....not a sniff. Then I started to get bit by red eyes and bluegills. I decided to throw a fluke and a drop shot and more the of same.....small fish. I finally hooked my first LM bass....a dink on the texas-rig jig. I was wondering if I was going to catch anything of quality all day. Then I started getting lots of pickerel bites on the fluke and the flipping bait. If I wasn't hooking them they were ripping my baits to pieces. But at least the action was picking up. I was working around the eastern side of the lake (along route 30) up towards the beach area. I then caught my first two keeper LM bass on a jig. Not huge fish...but at least they were 12-14 inch keepers. I worked under the bridge and finally found some smallies! As everyone knows....we have had a lot of rain. So the Sacandaga River is really moving. I worked up the east bank with a spinnerbait and a chatterbait and was getting either a smallie or a pickerel on most casts. The smallies were not huge...2-2.5 pounders...but they were strong fish. All in all it is a nice lake. I like the sloping banks and I would like to revisit it at different times of the year and not in the middle of summer. It would probably also be better to fish it on a non-vacation weekday when the lake is a little quieter....even though it wasn't really that bad. The lake has a nice paved ramp on the west side of the lake off Algonquin Road with parking about 500' down the road. Parking is somewhat limited....but if you get there early you should be ok. The lake has nice weeds growing and I am definitely considering getting back there later in the season. So another Adirondack lake is off my to-do list. Next up....perhaps Sunday....I am thinking of hitting Sacandaga & Lake Pleasant. Here's some pics from around the lake and of my best smallie. No monsters on the day....but I'd like to think the potential is there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Great seeing a report of MarkNJBass'N . The lake looks great there as do the smallie . Nice job running the gamut of post spawn summertime bait choices and were still able to get the jig to produce . Thanks for sharing the report and photos.

Great time to you and all attending the North Country Roundup .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts