The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking at the info on the new Nories Bug and came across another of Derek's new baits for 2004...It is called a Palm Tree...What caught my interest was that it looked exactly like his dad's IKA, perhaps a little more slender...I have a bunch, but never really found them too useful Vs a tube...

But, I was intrigued that in their pitch when they said to "reverse hook it" for a flutter down effect...Anyone fish Ikas like that ?...Sounds interesting and never really occurred to me...Same thing might work with some thicker walled tubes...

Anyone have an opinion...Please share the uses of these straight skirted tail grubs...Maybe I can find better use for them this season...

Thanks Ahead...

Mark D

·
Registered
408 Posts
Fat ikas are my number one bait! I could go on forever......I have as a last resort rigged them backward and they work fine that way but tend to spin a lot.

G

·
backwards tube for beds

I fish a big tube backwards after shoving a bass casting sinker ( i/4 ounce) into the head of the tube. Looks just like the backwards Palm Tree.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I like the looks of the sweet beaver :D

and the w.w. hooks. these should be pretty good for dropshotting around snaggier areas.

ScottB

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Weedless Kahle hooks like that...They must work for WW senkos for sure...I used Kahles last season...Had a "circle hook effect" on most fish with way fewer gut hooks...Never tried the weedless ones though, but I have tried the weighted ones...

Mark D

G

·
Paladin

I have seen this company before...
Have you ordered anything from this company?
Big Tubes look sweet..Was wondering how many per pack?
Woody

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have been looking at this site for a couple of months now and they just recently got the ability to order online. The Boom Boom Tubes are supposedly the same watermelon/red tubes that Robert Lee used during his last BASS win on the Delta. The Sweet Beaver looks like a geat pitching bait to me. I have been contemplating adding it to my arsenal ( I Love the California 420, magic craw swirl and hematoma colors). Like I posted in an earlier thread though, I am looking more to downsize my arsenal though :D

Happy New Years!! Scott B

·
Wishin' I'm Fishin'
18,645 Posts
Mark...in response to your question...

Yes, I have used the IKAs that way, tentacales towards the line, on a 4/0 EWG with lunkercity nail wieghts inserted in the rear end[LOL-{verbal field day seen coming from this statement'}].

I can be pitched of flipped into tight cover and will almost go right in backwards into the holes rigged that way, falling backwards sorta...

Yes, Kinami is Derek Yamamoto's {Gary's son} company, and the product apppears totally identical to the Ikas.
Some of the newly released "Palm trees' are sporting two colors, one color for the 'stem' and one for the 'fronds'...LOL

There are four sizes/styles of Ikas, and I have done the best personally with the Fat ones, but I fish them the most too...so go figure. I fish them tentacles to the rear mostly, often as follow up lures to missed "froggie blowups".

·
Registered
369 Posts
WOW! Baits looked interesting, too. Actually, I spoke with Sam Newby at the Everstart this past September (N Champlain), where he did well. He showed me his "hot" bait, and I'm pretty sure it was called "<something> Beaver". Wonder if its the same? His was watermelon colored, rigged weightless. The smallies were smashing it either on top or just under the surface. He did mention that it was not available at that time to the public.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts