The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out at 5 for some fishing at kensico on what turned out to be a beautiful day on the water. Very surprised to see very few boats on kensico for some reason, maybe the boys are getting ready for hunting season I would assume. Headed out from 8 and made our way towards A2 and then looped back. Was surprised to see many of the bass holding pretty close to shore as opposed to out fairly deeper this time of year. Lures of choice they were hitting today on were spinners, senkos and topwater plugs, nothing on cranks or jigs. It was all going good as we were landing em pretty quickly by 8am until I the pulled the ultimate rookie mistake. I asked my buddy for a 7/16 spinner as my 5/16 was just to light to get enough distance. He hands me a booyah spinner right out the package, I slap it on and about 10-15 casts or so it gets slammed and drag starts to slide out. After a few minutes or so it comes up and jumps a bit out the water, then spits the spinner a few feet from me. It was a good size LMB, not huge but good, roughly 3-4 lb range I would guess. I sat there for a few minutes stunned as usually you really shouldn't lose a fish when a big ole hooked spinnerbait is in its mouth, but it happened. I regroup and close the distance between the blade and the hook on the spinnerbait as it was separated too far and see the worst thing possible...The friggin red plastic hook protector that comes when packaged was still on :((( I was sooooo bent, total rookie move and embarrassing for that matter. So the moral of the story is dont be an idiot like me and always check your spinners when unpackaging em. Oh and by the way, the same guy that gave me the spinner did the same exact thing in the beginning of the summer and I joked on him mercilessly for not taking the guard off. So needless to say you can only imagine the harassing i got in the boat yesterday. Karma came back and got me but it was all fun anyways. On that note boys, lets get ready for sunday football...GO BUCS :)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Nice report and great pics.......Same similar report from where i fished.....but all fish only wanted jigs and tunses and nothing else.......That last bronze has some excellent stripes....all fish look nice.....mine were all guppies......Thanks for posting and sharing!!...FISH ON!!!!......

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
We all make mistakes out there from time to time, the key is to try and not make them again :). Guy close to me today was MF'ing his reel so loud I could here him from 100 yards away, hahah could only imagine what was going on, so its not just you. Great bass and way to recover!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Zipper has a share of more boats at K than the DEP....

8 is a solid and central area. Up to area2 and back from 8 is a great route...nice work
Its a nice area since you can row out 50 feet for Lakers/Browns or ride the shorelines for bass. Going to try for both this upcoming weekend

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.