The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Angler
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am a member of the Yonkers Paddling and Rowing Club (YPRC). YPRC is a non- profit organization providing access to the river, boat storage, boat building and paddling activities.

Westchester County is trying to evict us after having a presence on the Hudson River since 1932.

Please visit the website for more information regarding the club and the eviction proceedings. We have started a letter and email campaign. Any support will be greatly appreciated.

Yonkers Paddling & Rowing Club

Please have a safe and happy new year.

Felix

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
Felix: do they have other plans for that boathouse? most thing like this are dictated by money...does it cost them money to allow you to stay, or will they make better money by kicking you out and having someone else......

·
Angler
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John,

They plan to demolish the boathouse for a planned waterfront esplanade in the area.

We see no reason why we cannot be incorporated in this plan, as it would provide more activities for ALL to enjoy.

Interestingly, we got our eviction a few weeks after the County of Westchester spent more than $10,000 rebuilding our utility conduits for electricity and water.

We have been working with Phil Amicone who is drafting a letter to County Executive Andrew Spano.

It seems that it has become more of a political battle at this point. It seems that the city has no problem having us there. But the County has a different position. The city was led to believe that they would have final say on the development of their waterfront.

One of the reasons sited for the eviction was for security concerns. Sal Carrera, the county's director of economic development and real estate mentions that the building is 5 feet from a Sodium Hypochlorite Building. A potential terrorist target. Why would terrorists want to blow up a bleach factory? They just finished building a public park just adjacent to the same building as well! They also list pollution concerns. I refer to the $10,000 + upgrade to our electrical and water facilities. Why were they helping so called polluters? Kayakers are usually VERY conscious about the environment and the water in which they paddle. We help clean the river not pollute it. Sorry to go off on this but I feel that something fishy is going on here. I wanted to start a kayak/fishing crew in this club and I do not want to see it jeopardized!

Thank you for your interest.

Felix

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
there surely is my friend, and I will tell you what it probably is:

find out what kind of contract ( contractor) this job amounts to....who is getting the contract?

what you will NEVER know, is what your westchester director or someone like him might get under the table from that contractor.......the money spent by the town on improvements is probably chump change compared to the money involved in doing this job....

always money.......

forget Cherchez La Femme.......

instead: Where da Money! LOL>>>>>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts