The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this is my first post.

My question would be if anyone ever fishes from a kayak? I got into kayak fishing about a year ago and now I solely fish out of one. I haven't noticed too many people using them aound my neck of th woods (Orange County, New York). Any thoughts?

-Rick

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I've been fishing out of a kayak for at least 10 years now. Lots of fun. Rough on the back and the rear end but lots of fun. I can't take much tackle with me and usually don't go out for more than 3-4 hours, but it is a lot of fun. Especially when you get bass of 2 pounds or more and they start pulling you around. Great for small lakes and ponds, too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been fishing out of a kayak for at least 10 years now. Lots of fun. Rough on the back and the rear end but lots of fun. I can't take much tackle with me and usually don't go out for more than 3-4 hours, but it is a lot of fun. Especially when you get bass of 2 pounds or more and they start pulling you around. Great for small lakes and ponds, too.
One of the things I love about fishing from a kayak is the fact that I can't bring so much stuff. I find it makes for less stress for me personally with not having to bring everything I own into a boat. I do find the same thing, after a few hours my back is killing me. What kind of kayak to you fish out of?

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
Rough on the back and the rear end but lots of fun.
Any chance you can go into detail about how rough it is on your back? I was just informed ,again, that my favorite spot is letting in kayaks this year and plan on getting on ASAP. I blew out my lower back on my last boat trip thursday before the holiday so I am a little concerned now with being bent over all day- while not at work or doing my taxes! (get it?)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear about your back, I hope it is feeling better. Do you currently have a kayak? Some kayaks definitely put some stress on your lower to middle back due to the angle of the seat and lack of cushion. It's certainly uncomfortable. Many of the kayaks that you will find at popular chain sporting goods stores that are on the less expensive side have this problem - you can tell pretty quickly if the angle is not right for you so I suggest test riding some kayaks at a dealership before hand.

Many of the "high-end" kayaks have certainly addressed this issue (along with many other issues that you don't foresee until you have fished from a basic "beginner" fishing kayak like I have for some time). They are definitely worth the extra money. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
There are some serious kayak anglers here on site , very much in the know about how to get started on many levels as serious as you wish to go.
Just search the archives and without searching far you'll become acquainted with the names of all the sites stars .
I had to bump this and Jay , I'm still waiting for the sequel .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information! I will definitely do that!

And that video was sweet!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Can't carry too much stuff??? You haven't seen mine loaded! I carry more than most bass boat guys.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beer Geek - what kind of kayak do you fish out of? I would love to see a picture of it loaded up if you have one! I'm looking to upgrade to a Jackson Kayak Cuda 12 - which will have significantly more storage space than my Future Beach Trophy 10. Though I still doubt I would bring much more than I do now, I like the simplicity of not having much to bring along.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
One of the things I love about fishing from a kayak is the fact that I can't bring so much stuff. I find it makes for less stress for me personally with not having to bring everything I own into a boat. I do find the same thing, after a few hours my back is killing me. What kind of kayak to you fish out of?
I have a very plain, small Kayak. 8' long, sit-in. Potomac. Got it pretty cheap. It's easy to stick in the back of my explorer.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Any chance you can go into detail about how rough it is on your back? I was just informed ,again, that my favorite spot is letting in kayaks this year and plan on getting on ASAP. I blew out my lower back on my last boat trip thursday before the holiday so I am a little concerned now with being bent over all day- while not at work or doing my taxes! (get it?)
I don't know how to describe it other than to say that it's incredibly uncomfortable. It could be the type of Kayak I have (plain and simple, cheap). It's actually rougher on my ass than my back, but my back does bother me too after being out in the kayak a few hours.

·
Registered
590 Posts
the biggest problem is that your weight is almost entirely supported by a really small part of your butt with most seats. There is a big difference in comfort between high and low end seats but even there the problem is often not addressed. If you find a way to raise the front of your seat so that the backs of your upper legs are supported and they in turn support some of your weight the difference will really surprise you. In its original form the Tarpon 120 had one of the worst seating arrangements ever. If you go to their site and look at their current seats you will see what I'm talking about. In their case it was so bad they had to something and they really did.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
This is my wilderness systems ride 115. I have a ride 135 coming next week in a custom color. It's also a camo but had lime green mixed in. I have been too sick to fish all week so I'm working on some rigging and airing it out.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370195133.217438.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370195163.896145.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370195209.632143.jpg

·
Registered
203 Posts
I fish out of a West Marine Pompano (someone told me it was the old tarpon 120) and don't find it that uncomfortable, even with a crappy seat. In my experience, you have to get used to the position . Whn I started fishing from a kayak 2 years ago, I got sore as heck the first few times using it, but after a few months I found the position fairly comfortable.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My wife and I both bought Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12 sit on tops about 5 years ago due to the comfort of the seats and the stability. Last year we upgraded her kayak to the new model which has an improved seat that supports the upper legs. It is a very comfortable and it's got me thinking about a new / another kayak. I may go with the ultimate 14, it has an incredibly comfortable seat plus it's got enough room for both of our dogs.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
You are correct about the west marine. It uses an old wildy mold and the plastic used is a lower grade but its still a solid boat for the price. I'm wondering now with the ride series how long the tarpon is going to be in the line up. The tarpon was billed as a better river boat but I was on a 2 day trip last year with a friend and my 115 and his 120 were loaded to the max. Mine handled the river much better. He got stuck more often on the same rocks I was rolling over and he's more of a white water guy than me. I also do better on rough lakes than the tarpon. Setting in the same place my hummingbird was showing 5ft swells.
The rides also have the removable seats now. I have both a high and low seat. Pull it out and it makes the perfect camp chair.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I might have to post Jays skate video ; )

·
Registered
203 Posts
You are correct about the west marine. It uses an old wildy mold and the plastic used is a lower grade but its still a solid boat for the price. I'm wondering now with the ride series how long the tarpon is going to be in the line up. The tarpon was billed as a better river boat but I was on a 2 day trip last year with a friend and my 115 and his 120 were loaded to the max. Mine handled the river much better. He got stuck more often on the same rocks I was rolling over and he's more of a white water guy than me. I also do better on rough lakes than the tarpon. Setting in the same place my hummingbird was showing 5ft swells.
The rides also have the removable seats now. I have both a high and low seat. Pull it out and it makes the perfect camp chair.
The ride is a sweet boat and might be my next purchase. I do a fair bit of saltwater inshore fishing so am also thinking about a Hobie Revolution. BG, you think the pedal drive will be a problem in the shallow lakes of Long Island? Your correct about the tarpon not handling rough water well.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Bonz, I fish with a bunch of Hobie guys. They all usually have a second boat. My one friend has a Pro angler, Jackson Cousa and a ride 115. I have never paddled a hobie, but I do know you can pull the fins up and paddle. I fished Briery creek lake in VA a few weeks ago and there isa stump an inch under the water every 5 ft. I had a hard time with my ride, but several guys in hobies bent the hell out of their fins.
If I were to get a Hobie it would be the PA 14 but you pretty much need a trailer. I like the rides the best of any boat I have had. I have been places that don't look like they have ever saw a line and got some monster fish in them.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts