The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After pretty much every piece of advice I received consisted of "Get off the Bank and Get a Boat" - I finally decided to Join the Yak Master's club. I decided on a Kayak for a few reasons - Mainly, because you cannot put a gas boat on any of the lakes in Harriman, I'd need to upgrade my Tow Capacity to Tow anything notable, and storage concerns, I live in a development with a Home Owner's Association, I'm sure they'd have something to say about it.

Anyway, after some Craig's List action - This is what I ended up with. I took her out for a test drive last night and I gotta say, its awesome!!! And the Mirage Drive with the Turbo Fins really moves quite well with little effort. Although I was mostly messing around with the Boat I did get 1/2 hour of fishing in and got a 2-3Lbs. Smallie, deeper then I would have been able to reach from shore. The only down side is loading and unloading it takes time, its not actually all that difficult, a little heavier then I thought, but with my limited schedule on Week nights and the days getting shorter, its going to be tough to get it out during the week. Other then that, I really see no down side to this purchase - :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you putting it on top of a car? I have some good setups that work well.
Thanks - Yes, I'm putting it on top of a Jeep Liberty, my wife's, so Far I'm working with 2 Rolled up Beach Towels and two straps, the front strap seems to catch some wind and vibrates like a mother . . . Any tips are most appreciated.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I'm using Yakima mako aero saddles and yakima hully rollers. I have tried other setup but always go back to that set up. As for the straps if you put them on flat they make noise. Twist them and they should be quiet...er

·
Registered
590 Posts
It'sreally hard to hold the yak securely without a roof rack of some sort. You don't want to lose the kayak while booking down ab interstate. Ask me how I know this. I have a pair of sport rack, Canadian, bars with mounts you would need to buy feet.check to see if they make them for theLiberty. If so yours for $75. Can meet you at Harriman sometime. You really need to do something like this.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has a lowrance on it. I'll look and see if I can find the clamps, are the bars round or square? Actually when you say feet, do you mean the part the connects to the roof? The jeep already has bars that run front to back, just not across, if your just clamp to those I'll take them, just PM me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.