The New York Bass Forums banner

Joe Pido......

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Woody 
#1 ·
Tell me about P line. I'm thiking of trying the 15lb for some jig n pigging. I've heard good things about it but please give me a detailed summary of your findings!

#2 ·
Earthy,
Dont know about P-Line, but I use 8lb diameter / 20 lb test Berkely Fire Line for my J&P's. Have been for years and it works very well.

#4 · (Edited)
EW-

I use P Line CCX for almost all of my baitcast applications. I do not like it for spinning reels, it is too stiff and has quite a bit of memory. It is great though for jigs, spinnerbaits, topwater and cranks.....very little stretch for mono. I use 15 for most everything, except 12 for cranks and small jigs. Tough stuff, zebras won't tear it up.

Seth V

#5 ·
Craig, I use P-line Floroclear 95 % of the time, using 6 lb to 20 lb test. As you might know by now, Floroclear is simply a coplymer with a coating of fluorocarbon. The best of both worlds, as how the company describes it. I started using it couple of years ago and since then, junked my XT's, XL's and Big Game.

It simply is strong. Right now, Im pitching small finesse jigs on baitcasting using 8-12 lb, with no worry about breaking off. I used to tighten the drag on my reels, not anymore. Ive lost fish and bent hooks with this line. It has slight memory, but a healthy dose of Reel Line helps a lot. And it is so castable, I get less backlashes with this line compared to other lines. 20 lb feels and cast like 15 lb. The diameter is slightly smaller compared to the same lb test line of regular mono.

It is pricey, but again, I dont respool as much as I used to. Floroclear is comparable to Yozuri Hybrid.

This pretty much are the reasons why I like it. But again, you can say the same thing bout 'Zuri or the other lines.

All I know is.....the name it self...sounds cool...LOL.....

Seriously.....it is good line.....

Joe

#8 ·
I love the Hybrid but I've actually broken the 12 and 15 more than I care to mention. It is strange because I never had problems with the 8lb. I'm looking to throw it mainly with 1/4oz and 3/8oz jigs so I think upping to 15 would be perfect. I was actually looking to decrease diameter and up lb test. I was told the P line was the way to go. I don't believe in braids for jigs so that is out. Anbody try Mccoy Green?

#9 ·
I tried the CXX which Seth mentioned and liked it too. It is strong , but the memory has got to be a problem. If I didnt have extra spools of Big Game , Id be using CXX for mono. But again, I was stuck with Floroclear pretty much the whole year.

I tried P-line's Florocarbon and didnt like the way it sat on my reel. I backlashed so many times with it that I respooled with Floroclear and didnt have a problem after changing....

Good luck with it Craig...hope you like it....I think Woody likes Floroclear too....and its readily available at Galyans....

Joe

#10 ·
EW-

Check the diameters on the PLine CXX....it's thick. I estimate the 15lb will break in the neighborhood of 25lbs actual. Its thick and chewy line......I prefer the 20lb CXX for buzzbaits, but thats the only application I use it for. You can't "kink" the stuff on the spool no matter how hard you cast. If it reels in crappy it will cast just fine, anyhow. Similar line is trilene Big Game.

McCoys is just like trilene XT. Silver Thread 17lb or 20lb (or 24lb tectan) will do you right for your application. The best combo of castability and strength.

Paul

PS.

Heavy line, jigs over a 1/2oz, long rods?????? What gives???????

#11 ·
Craig:: P Line Fluoroclear is the line I had on when I caught the 9 pouner at Wampus.......I use it exclusively for T-rig Worming and Blade baiting....

McCoys is a very supple line, however, I did NOT like it in the lower tests... I still use it in 10 pound and it is a pleasure all around in that test both in castability, handling and strength......

#12 ·
I used the 8 lb. Yo zuri all year with no issues. I also would IN THINKING that upgrade to 12-15 would do for cranking applications. Is there a problem with this class is anyone else useing this? I have been wanting to go Yo-zuri or P line next season I used Power pro in the slop it worked well but that's it.

#13 ·
Heavy line, jigs over a 1/2oz, long rods?????? What gives???????

LOL, now Paul, I prefer to fish light gear but I am versatile. I flip and pitch with the best of them and did it more this past season than in recent memory. It is one of my strengths that I really never talked about.

JoFish, I love the 8lb Hybrid but with a 7ft flipping stick, I rock the boat when I set the hook. The 12lb broke too often causing me at least two fish over 5lbs in tournaments this year. One didn't matter but would have brought my bag close to 20lbs. which on LI is unheard of. The other was a big fish on the first day of the Classic. Although losing that fish didn't cost me the Classic, it may have changed something in my approach if I caught it that would have made me fish better.

#15 ·
Craig, I have been using the CXX in 17# for Jiggin'-n-piggin', most of my spinnerbaiting, topwater and some lipless cranking for a few years now. You CANNOT break the stuff. I will go on a limb and actually say that I have NEVER broken it on a fish. Memory can be a pain but a quick squirt of Tangle Free or Reel Magic at the start of the day goes a long ways to help with that. The only line I have used for hard jerks and lipped cranks, going on three years now, is the CXX in 8#. This year I did give Realine a whirl and came crying back to the CXX in 6# for spinning. I have been doing OK with it though.
ScottB

G
#16 ·
I don't claim to be an expert...

I tried several different Lines in the past two years.
Joey P is right... We discussed it while we fished together...
P-Line Floroclear is MY choice of line... I have used Yozuri and unlike Bink found out that the Floroclear was better suited for MY style of fishing.
I LOVE IT ON MY SPINNING GEAR...
Woody

#19 ·
My natural thought was to go with the yozuri 12-14 lb. range because of the way 8lb. handles what I am looking to do is find the best line for casting use. I once liked Big game but it's sometimes hard to work with. How does the p line hold up under casting and spinner bait applications.

#21 ·
C- Ill take the 'Zuri Hybrid over the CXX if suppleness and less memory is your concern. But again, CXX is Trilene Big Game in disguise. It is strong but you got to deal with the memory.

if youre talking 15 lb Zuri Hybrid and 15lb P-line Floroclear which are both copolymer with floro coating , then hands down, Ill take the Floroclear.

CXX is plain mono....

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.