The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AVR
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I finally got jigging down somewhat. Now onto worming. IS the technique basically the same thing as jigging?

or

Do you work the worm with more hops and a longer distance?

I pretty much pitch the jig, see if they hit it on the fall, shake it a few times and then bring it back up.

Is worming any different?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Starting off bass angling was first tied to the business end was the weightless plastics and started with the worm and later with the jig and trailer .
Now one if not my favorite bait choice . Though I target pretty much the same areas as a worm , my working the two are not exactly the same . Where I would hop a weighted floating worm shaky head . The jig I get more bites with less hop following drop and more dragging it . As far a it being the jig vs the worm, for quantity catch ,I would go worm but for a more quality catch the jig is my go to option .
Worms spend more time in my tackle bag to be tied on rarely at best , where a jig is always tied on a rod more time than less. The jig wins for me hands down if it were a contest .

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
I like this topic...my first ever bass caught was on a 4 inch Powerworm, tequila sunrise. Learned the nuances of fishing a worm before a jig, actually. So if you know how to fish a jig, fishing a worm will be easy.

Pretty much cast the worm out and drag, hop, or shake in place. Come to think of it, I fish a jig pretty much the same way.

Joe

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is your worm rigged texas style or wacky style? For textas rigged I alternate between dragging with some hops. For wacky style all I do is shake my rod a little bit. I've had good success with both.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I fish them both the same. However, Rockland Basser is right. You will get bigger fish but less bites on the jig.
That's why I hardly ever use a jig. So for me, I usually use a worm or craw.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For the texas rigged worm. Slow slow and even slower retrieve. And then slow down even more as Larry Nixon would say. Bites can come up to 10-15 seconds after contacting the bottom. Of course if there active the bite can be instantaneous. I work the rod from the 10-12 o'clock position. Predominetly there are two methods to detect a bite. Watch the line (leave a little bow in the line before it enters the water) or feel the 2 bumps from the fish inhaling the worm. Otherwise keep a visual reference to were the line is in the water some of my biggest bass came from actually not feeling the bite but the line looked like it move six inches from here it originally was. When in doubt (weed/fish?) always set the hook trying to cross the fishes eye.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.