The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most of you, I fish jigs quite often...However, i have always been curious as to why i dont fish Hula Grubs as often...I have many that have gone relatively unused... They seem incredibly similar to jigs with respect to looks in many cases...

I do realize the traditional jig skirt texture is much different from the soft plastic skirt of a Hula Grub and that it looks fuller in the water...But what else is there different in a Hula Grub from a jig that is rigged with a split tail trailer ?...

The jig does offer more versatility in colors, rattles, trailer options, etc, but i was wondering if one may be better over the other for certain temps or techniques and why...Does anyone have a preference for these grubs ?...

I want to drag some of these next season on some great new heads I have acquired...

Thanks Ahead...

Grubby

Mark D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Don't overlook the option of using a Hula Grub AS your jig trailer. This really bulks up the skit appearance of the jig, and you get the action and taste of the grub. I've used it and like it alot (not for every situation, but really good sometimes).

Joe K.

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
Mark, a hula lends itself well to be used as a jig in shallow water, especially when fish are getting pounded by jigs. Think about it, it is actually a one pc. soft plactic jig n pig.

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
Mark, I would fish a hula in clear to semi colored water, and rocky lakes, trying to imitate crawfish skittering or feeding along the bottom. A football jighead is perfectly made for the hula,with its rocking motion making those legs work.

In heavy weeds and cover, dark colored water, Id still go to a jig and pig, providing the bass a bait with a much bigger profile, for the bass to hone on to....

Joe

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
JOE TKO hit the Nail on the head!!!!

using the spider grub as a jig trailer gives you the best of BOTH worlds!!

slap a 4 inch DT Hula in a nice earth tone color onto a weedless 1/4 ounce jig head and you have a deadly weapon!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I used the DT Hula Grub as a trailer alot last year and will again this. Dragging a Hula on a heavy football jig is a good alt to carolina rigging.

·
VOODOO CHILE
1,022 Posts
Flippin' Grass

I like to use the Hula when the grass is real thick and the standard J&P gets too gacked with the verge on every cast.
5" hula,rattlin' florida rig(heavy).4/0 EWG.Stout gear.
Goes thru the mess alot better.any other time it's a J&P for myself...><>...HS

·
Registered
241 Posts
I pretty much agree with Joe P. I too think of the hula as a better deep clear water bait on a football or Rocker Head. One advantage of the hula, is that in REALLY nasty stuff, like Winchester Lake, it can be Texas rigged too. And Bink, I spoke with Dave Kelso (a BASS guy from Maine) a couple of years back and he told me he would not go out on Maine waters without an Arkie Salty Crawling Grub for CAROLINA RIGGING. Since then, I have used this method successfully in several places to take a few key keepers.

Overall though, I definitely throw the jig-n-pig more. I am not really sure why all of the time, but that is the way I do it. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I feel that the hula grub takes up more of the bite of the hook than a jig-n-pig and can lead to more lost fish. When I get a hit on the jig-n-pig, I have more confidence that the fish will be in the boat. I might be the only one with this opinion though because I know a lot more guys in my clubs throw the hula, for some it is the ony bait they do throw!!

ScottB

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
one reason why one would throw a hula more than the jig is the feel of the bite. On the Hula, there is a distinct feel of the fish grabbing the bait. Coupled with a sensitive setup, a hula bite is pretty obvious.

on the other hand, a jig bite is, well....just a mushy feeling. ....for the most part...

we really should ask Pat X. I see him throwing a hula on a football jig, almost always...

Joe

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am NOT a jig & pig guy, though I keep telling myself that I need to use it some, to get some experience with it. I DO use a hula grub alot, and usually do very well with it. Especially for smallies, like on N Champlain, Sacandaga, Oneida, etc. Pretty much everywhere, except Cayuga. I've yet to catch one bass, of any type, in Cayuga on a hula. I T-rigged it on Oneida last July, then again in October, and caught both large & smallmouth bass. It came through weeds well. I guess that for me, it is my jig & pig.

Don

·
Angler
232 Posts
I think a Hula Grub is a great bait to use in places where smallmouths roam, or a mix or smallies and largemouths. Oneida, for example, is a great place to throw a hula, on weed eges and shoals. I jig-n-pig I feel is a great bait for largemouths, especially quality fish. I think if you are tageting the big boys, stick to the jig-n-pig, it is a time tested tactic that works all around the country in any water type. The Hula...mixed bag lakes and clear water. And like [email protected] said about the combination of a Hula and a Jig, I also have used something similar, but as a way to save money. I have Hula Grubs that are all but used up, so I bite the head portion off and use the twin tail as my jig trailer...give it a try!

·
Ordinary Angler
414 Posts
Alwhile back I asked this question and JohnG chastised me for it but I'll throw it out again... Why would you fish either a jig 'n pork or hula grub over a tube?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Steve, that is a very good question. I do throw both but I usually let the fish let me know which they prefer. I have to be honest though, if I can get a jig-n-pig bite that is usually my weapon of choice. I might be lazy/cheap but I can get the whole day out of a jig-n-pig where as I will have to rerig the tube. Another factor along these line is the fact that I will lose NO time rerigging a jig. As long as the line is not too chaffed (I use 17# P-Line CXX Xtra Strong for my jig fishin') I might retie only a couple of times a day. I am interested to see what others have to say.

ScottB

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
jigs= bigger fish

good points, mentioned by Scott. No question, jigs will get you quality fish. Slower fishing than the tube. A tube will get you the easier fish, but Ill take a jig limit over a tube limit...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good Info here guys...

Thanks guys...

I did have a lake in mind when asking this question and "it is" a very deep and very clear lake...And the sm and lm coincide...I think i will mix it up a little more this year when i fish there...Last season i used mostly tubes down under, but i plan on getting back to the jig n trailer more this season and experimenting with the Hula Grub...Both should do well when a larger profile is on the menu or when i can get away with it...Like i said earlier, this will be relatively new ground for me but i have some real nice jigs for these grubs and i cant wait to put them together....

Thaks again

Hula Dancin

Mark D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts