The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Frogaholic for life!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the day! They start selling the new keys and permits for Island Pond and the rest of the lakes. But the Island Pond key is only sold until April 1st. I always looked forward to this as the start of the season! Have a great season out there!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Missed it last year but will definitely get there this year. Lotsa biggies in there, beautiful too

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ian,
I often drive by the lakes and ponds of Harriman State Park but have never fished there.What is the process.I know about the State Licence and regional permit to put in my kayak but what's the deal with keys?

·
Frogaholic for life!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the number for Tiorati Cicle office 845-351-2568. You can get the permit at Tiorati, Rockland Lake (although I'm not sure you can get the Island Pond key there), probably at the main headquarters at Bear Mountain. They want to see the boat, life jackets and assorted other things...call them to get the specifics. They also sell keys to Lake Welch, Lake Tiorati and maybe one or two others. The other lakes are pretty much open as long as you have the permit. There are a few lakes that are off limits. Good luck!

·
Got smallmouths???
1,313 Posts
Ian,

You can get all the keys/permits(including the permits for Sterling Forest SP) at the Tiorati Circle or Beaver Pond Camps at Lake Welch.

Bob,

Some of the lakes like Lake Welch, Tiorati, Stahahe and Island Pond require that you have a key as they have a gated parking and launch area.

One key/permit for Welch, Tiorati and Stahahe which allows you to fish Sebago, Rockland and Kanawaukee. The other key/permit is for Island Pond only.

As far as Island Pond

If you don't mind a tough launch it can be great, like Benj wrote there are some big bass in there, as well as some big pickerel.

I've been thinking about getting my permits for the SP this year as I get out of work at 3:30pm and I am passing through the park on my way home....I miss that pond.

This bass was caught there at Island Pond in July of 1997

·
What?
192 Posts
Island Pond

Scott, I have an open seat any time for Island Pond. I can get out early if I plan it ahead of time. I haven't forgot the map info!!!

HOOKSET:fishing:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Scott,
Thanks for the info. I'm definetly going to get my keys. I too get out of work around 3:30 so I'll probably be out there 'till around sunset. Perhaps we'll run into each pther.

·
Administrator
21,660 Posts
Scott and I fished that several years ago and had a fabulous day there!!!

would love to fish it again...

·
Got smallmouths???
1,313 Posts
Bob,

We may run into each other in Peekskill, I work down on Lower South St...for now.

·
Frogaholic for life!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kicker, what were the fees? for the permit ? and the key?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what the price for Island Pond is alone, but I got two keys/permits, one for Island Pond and one for Welch, Stahahe. Tiorati, and Kanauwakee for 50 dollars.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Canoe Sticker?

My buddy had to bring his canoe and life jackets there for inspection when he signed up.

·
Burn baby burn.NOT! : (
479 Posts
Can you just buy the access key without the boat sticker ?

I don't have a boat, but I want to shore fish there....

Ken.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do you have to acquire the permits for HSP in person or can you do it on-line?

·
Registered
174 Posts
When you get your sticker/key, you have to bring your boat with 2 life jackets, and the person working there looks at them briefly.

·
Got smallmouths???
1,313 Posts
kennjen said:
Can you just buy the access key without the boat sticker ?

I don't have a boat, but I want to shore fish there....
Ken,

Unfortunately, you need to have a boat to get any of the keys, you also get a permit/sticker for your car.

There is not to many places from shore to fish but if still inclined to do so, you can hike the trail from the trail head parking on Arden Valley Rd, again unfortunately the hike is almost 5 miles up hill.

Roadkill,

It must be done in person, you must bring your boat, enough life vests for however many persons the boat will hold according to the CG tag usually on the stern, oars and a CG approved whistle, if planning on using electric motor bring your boat registration also.

·
Burn baby burn.NOT! : (
479 Posts
Arrgh....no boat no key ???

Arrrrrrrrrgh.......5 mile hike ?

I really need to get a kayak or some thing quick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought you no longer have to bring the boat to get the key. So can't us non boaters just say we have a boat and get a key

1 - 20 of 21 Posts