The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look forward to fishing tomorrow/Sunday - From some of the recent posts it looks like the Bass are beginning to feed more heavily - With the recent temp. drop here, do you think its time to bust out the crank baits? Are they up shallow or still holding deeper weed lines?

I'll be fishing from the Yak in the AM up in Harriman if anyone wants to join me, just PM.

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
I'm asking, wondering and hoping for the same...from my last few trips in the NY Ressies they were deeper than weedline. most we caught were off a ledge of somesort....
Zipper got a huge smallie in 27 feet off a ledge is our best in a while. scattered dinks shallow but those dont help much.
hope the cold brings em a little closer!

·
Registered
484 Posts
It's been crankin time lol. Ill be fishing up in Sullivan on the Rio. Beautiful place. Gonna throw alot of jigs. But ill have my speed lures out too. Last weekend I caught all my fish tight to cover on a football jig

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"hope the cold brings em a little closer!" - I just hope I don't miss the migration and learn the hard way they've moved. I guess if I keep it in mind, and I'm not getting that deep weed edge or ledge bite, i'll try getting up closer. Agreed the dinks are shallow.

And I knew when I posted it, the cranks would come outta the walls to tell me its always crankin' time:laugh: I'm more of a whatever works kind of guy, but the jig will catch them just about any day of the week when fished correctly.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The bigger girls should be moving more shallow now. Caught a 4+ in about 4 ft of water last weekend. They're moving in. Good luck out there maybe sometime soon we can link up I live in New Windsor not too far from Harriman

·
Registered
484 Posts
Best baits to throw are the ones you usually wouldn't use. It's a great time of the year to gain confidence in those lures you don't feel comfortable with. Thts how I learned to use jigs well. Been a better fisherman ever since

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Always crankin time when I fish....but with the cool down, it's def. on en force(well it should be at least).....hottin the water for some bronze @ 5:30am.....Have a great weekend...will post report if a decent day

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
SMH, well, yesterday wasn't cranking time.....All fish were caught on weed edged ......didn't even want to sniff at a cd.....It was all jigs and tubes yesterday and that's all they wanted....not going to make a report but got 5 and my buddy got 5...all guppies under 2#....the story of my year(so far)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
SMH, well, yesterday wasn't cranking time.....All fish were caught on weed edges ......didn't even want to sniff at a cb.....It was all jigs and tubes yesterday and that's all they wanted....not going to make a report but got 5 and my buddy got 5...all guppies under 2#....the story of my year(so far)

message grammar corrected....sometimes the voice recognition on my phone messes up......

·
Registered
590 Posts
Last Saturday in the Hawg Bass tourny a friend... was throwing Lipless Cranks and was doing well on them in about 10 to 12 feet of water with sparse weeds Stained water,I was throwing a KVD 2.5(sexy Shad) in the same type of water(other end of the lake).. near a 84 foot drop off, I did alright but not as well as Tony. This weeked in my Classic, I'll be doing the same thing... but not the lipless. The water on the lake I'm fishing is Crystal clear, so not rattles . Light Florocarbon Lines and long casts. The other set up will be weighted Senkos and of course dragging tubes. Carloline rigged lizards(floating) have been working for us as well. If this pattern dosen't work I'll drag out the droip shot rod.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.