The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone....

Got out Sunday with my friend Tom at the crack of dawn to investigate an area of "the zoo" that we haven't given much attention to due to the row involved to get there. We normally don't mind rowing long distances if we can stop and fish areas along the way - but this is one of those rows if the wind is against you that you decide to do it early and have it push you back or never mind going in the type of heat we've had lately - I'm dedicated - but not that dedicated!!!!

Of course - we had to make one pit stop early at the place I keep my post spawn 5lber - as the water was like glass, 78 degrees and there was a very light breeze from the SSW with a good fog/overcast condition that screamed topwater. But we had no takers but one bonsai 2 LMB that I think was just annoyed we were breaking the silence!!! So once we realized the pets were going to stay asleep - we made our row and started with a combo of working bottom plastics and moving baits to see what was prefered - in/around and above the weeds and points. Needless to say all worked to some degree at first which was great - but nothing that we could absolutely count on as the sun and heat arrived at 9/10am.

In our "new" spot - we nailed a bunch early including the best of the day 3lb 9oz LMB off a 10" worm in the deep weeds. I have my wonderful - no coffee this morning look on in the photo!!! For a good chunk of the morning we picked off the "typical" 2-3lbers including Marty's hated smallies!!!LOL!! I then landed the "Biggy Smalls" of the day at 3lb 2oz from a pack of fish cruzing shallow as we further investigated the area.

As the day progressed - we witnessed that really annoying deal where you could row up on a spot - see a school of fish cruzing from shallow to 10ft, with one or two 3-4 lb fish in the school and not get anything to bite. At one point I got annoyed and just started "poking the bears"...... as I dragged my creature bait right into the side of one 3lb fish cruzing past the boat - he didn't even flinch. Another I could cast in front of and he'd make a left.... I did this 5 times until he almost made a complete run around the boat - it was almost comical.

In the end - we found for some reason any fish around wood you could get 1 bite from - and if you played that fish for a couple seconds, you could fire up the pack and get 2-3 more bites real fast, but once they moved off the wood kiss the bites goodbye even if they stayed within sight.

In total we boated a solid 15-18 fish with our typical amount of drops and laughs "that had to be giant"!!!! LOL!!! We also found more "spots" that should work great for now and the future which is always a bonus.

J.

Attachments

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
If your going to explore the Big K, you better have the 2 sets of oars set-up. To explore just for Largemouth, you may need 3 sets of oars.:laugh: Nice going gentlemen.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your going to explore the Big K, you better have the 2 sets of oars set-up. To explore just for Largemouth, you may need 3 sets of oars.:laugh: Nice going gentlemen.
I learned early on the value of double oar setups when fishing with others.... I don't fish any reservoir boat without them - unless I'm the one getting the guided tour!!!!

J.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.