The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wilderness Systems is coming out with a new boat. If you were thinking about getting a kayak for bass wait a few months. Maybe sooner, but I can't say
Sleeve Grey Font Symmetry Pattern

·
Registered
590 Posts
kayaks

Wilderness Systems are good kayaks but all boats are a compromise. You can stand up in the Rides and that's a big deal but they are slow and heavy. This may or may not matter but there are a number of other choices that might be more suitable depending on the situation. The new thermoformed kayaks are lighter and stiffer than the poly kayaks and so are faster. if you do a search Eddyline and Elie kayaks you can check them out. there are so many choices in fishing kayaks today it's hard to keep up. Hobies are still the favorite and have the best resale value by far. They aren't flawless either. They are more expensive and Mirage Drives do break although not all that often.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ride 115X.
THE HIGHLY ACCLAIMED RIDE: NOW TAKEN TO X-CEPTIONAL LEVELS
Working closely with well-known kayak angler, Chad Hoover, and other members of our Pro Staff, we have taken all the best of the extremely popular Ride 115 and added the kind features that make this boat a kayak angler’s dream. Introducing the Ride 115X: same stability, maneuverability, and capacity anglers need now with the “wish list” of features just for anglers. Add in Phase 3 Air Pro, the most innovative and comfortable seating system on the market (available in standard or the raised, Advance), and you have a sales-driving, yak angling machine.

FEATURES & BENEFITS
A New rigid aluminum carry handles with foam comfort sleeves.
B Additional scupper tube for increased support in the standing area.
C Replace deck fittings with security bars on the stern for greater flexibility in securing gear with web straps or caribiners.
D Removable console which reveals a large pass thru the hull. A battery storage area and molded-in inserts allow for quick installation
of a transducer, battery, and head unit.
E 8" Slide Trax along the stern tankwell and under the removable console.
F Stand Up Assist strap to ease in transitioning from a seated to standing position.
G Increased bulkhead width to provide more flexibility in mounting accessories.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been sold on a Jackson Cuda 12 for over a year now, and I can't wait to own one! I had successfully saved up for it but my wife is expecting our first child so I chose to put the kayak on hold. I love the hi lo seating option and the standing ability. I convinced a buddy of mine to get one, so now I live vicariously through him. He let me use it a couple weeks ago and I didn't want to get out of it. I was originally looking at the wilderness system kayaks but the Jackson Kayak company is right for me.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get the Jackson and ill race you. The ride series has a high seat too. I like the Jackson boats and Eric is a nice guy and I have fished with their designer. I just didn't like their carrying capacity. They will actually flip a lot easier than a ride. A friend of mine flipped a cuda sitting down. Luckily he was in really shallow water. He turned the boat fast and over it went.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You're on!!! LOL win or lose it'll give me a chance to get out on the water with you. I would love to get out and test paddle a bunch of different boats and really see for myself. I was on the Big Tuna and I didn't feel even a hint of tipping.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe we can fish soon. Do you have a way to transport a yak? I have a few up in Yonkers at a marina.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I only have a Thule J-carrier rack on top of my jeep. It's fine for my lightweight 10' kayak now, by I assume that wont fly when I upgrade. What do you think? The Cuda 12 and the Ride 115 are somewhat similar in size, they are better transferred flat rather than on their side, right?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
both of those boats are rigid enough to be transported on the side or flat. I have friends that drive a thousand miles with the boat just on the bars flipped upside down. I use the yakima hully rollers and mako saddles just because it works better on my honda element and the steep pitch and high roof.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That looks very do-able, and probably a lot easier than the J-carrier rack I have. I know the rollers make it very simple to load these heavier boats rather than lifting them clear off the ground to put them in the J-carrier. My kayak is maybe 50-55 lbs so its not difficult but I would def upgrade my rack system once I get a new kayak.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts