The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to 2015.:laugh: All the Lake associations are paranoid, & stupid.
This is a lake that they have 4 weed harvesting machines running daily and has weed chemical control.

There are tournaments on this lake 2 times during the week and 2 more times on the weekend. This control would have a dramatic effect on the local bait shop (saratoga tackle) and other local business's that profit off the insane amount of bass guys coming in and out.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to mention, they should have a wash station to wash the boats that come OUT of that lake. Saratoga lake already has every invasive species in it you can have pretty much.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Besides adding Saratoga to the boat-washing list ( " Voluntary " ), here's plans for even more. Give it 2 - 3 more season, won't be able to get on waters without inspection and mandatory washing. How long before Champlain & Mohawk on the list, though it would be more difficult, Andy will make it happen.

The state Department of Environmental Conservation is working with a number of other organizations to launch a boat inspection and decontamination program for the Adirondack Park in time for Memorial Day Weekend.

They are looking at sites in the following places:

South Colton

Cadyville

Ray Brook

Inlet

Alder Creek

Speculator

Northville

Chateaugay

Paul Smith's College

Tupper Lake.

There are also 14 proposed steward sites at lakes:

Fish Creek Pond Campground

Lewey Lake Campground (Indian Lake Launch)

Lewey Lake Campground (Lewey Lake Launch)

Moffitt’s Beach Camground

Piseco Lake Campground(s)

Town of Day Launch

Hinckley Flow Reservoir

Northhampton Beach Campgound

Brown’s Tract Pond Campground

Carry Falls Reservoir

Chazy Lake

Golden Beach Campground

Hudson River at Luzerne

Limekiln Lake Campground

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Clean and take care of your boat and there shouldn't be any issues. I launched plenty of times last year on Toga and passed every inspection they gave me, why, because I clean my boat of any materials before I leave the parking lot. I 'm not saying I agree with everything that's being done but unfortunately it is a sign of the times and it's going to become more prevalent throughout the state.

·
Volunteer for Life
861 Posts
I don't disagree with what Snitchols just said, but I also believe these are baby-steps in the direction of a more onerous program that will be enacted Statewide, resulting in significantly increased costs to anglers, and greater restrictions on access. (How long until these "free" programs suddenly have to be paid for by the anglers trying to access the relevant body of water? One budget-deficit and they're gone?? And yet NY government has raided the environmental protection fund how many times to pay for how many other things?)

I feel differently about any truly pristine waters - they should be protected and efforts should be make to keep them invasives-free. But for places are already besieged by invasives, get off my back. (I remember discussions years ago about apparent gymnastics you had to go through to launch on Otsego. The first time I got on that lake ... I pulled in zebra mussels by the bushel. I also remember discussion of how zebra mussels would destroy everything. Good thing gobies showed up or there wouldn't be a fish living in the St. Lawrence, right?)

Manage our resources better by putting the "dedicated" money into them before problems occur, not after. Stop just blaming anglers. And stop taking money out of my wallet. (Here's a thought - levy a significant tax on anyone who owns waterfront property and uses fertilizer.)

When is enough, enough, for State government ....

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I don't disagree with what Snitchols just said, but I also believe these are baby-steps in the direction of a more onerous program that will be enacted Statewide, resulting in significantly increased costs to anglers, and greater restrictions on access. (How long until these "free" programs suddenly have to be paid for by the anglers trying to access the relevant body of water? One budget-deficit and they're gone?? And yet NY government has raided the environmental protection fund how many times to pay for how many other things?)

I feel differently about any truly pristine waters - they should be protected and efforts should be make to keep them invasives-free. But for places are already besieged by invasives, get off my back. (I remember discussions years ago about apparent gymnastics you had to go through to launch on Otsego. The first time I got on that lake ... I pulled in zebra mussels by the bushel. I also remember discussion of how zebra mussels would destroy everything. Good thing gobies showed up or there wouldn't be a fish living in the St. Lawrence, right?)

Manage our resources better by putting the "dedicated" money into them before problems occur, not after. Stop just blaming anglers. And stop taking money out of my wallet. (Here's a thought - levy a significant tax on anyone who owns waterfront property and uses fertilizer.)

When is enough, enough, for State government ....
I completely agree. To me, the weekend party people are a big portion of the issue. It's just easier to blame the "fisherman" because they know they are the ones that go from lake to lake.

·
Registered
412 Posts
So here is my question. If you are going to have a tournament on one of these cleaning station required waters. How early are people at these things to get cleaned? They aren't even located necessarily at the body of water so how can 30+ boats get checked at a station lets say 20 miles from the body of water at 4:30-5:00 am?

Sounds like the end of all ADK waters. Sad. The restrictions continue.

·
Banned
92 Posts
As stated above, it "seems" that everything is aimed at the anglers, whether in a tourney or just out fun fishing. I agree that the weekend party people who may tow their boat to the water, but probably dock/keep boat in water and therefore don't get involved in the inspection process also contribute to this problem. As a somewhat distant relative who owns waterfront property locally said to me.....we try everything to get fishermen and "those others" off OUR water.....she got an earful, believe me. I doubt if any state agency is concerned whether a bass club tourney gets out on time and will have a plan of "this is when the inspectors are available, deal with it" attitude. Gotta luv NY.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is evolutionary. Every comment here has been dead on. They raided the conservation fund to the tune of $1 million over two years to pay for the labor to implement Clean Drain and Dry on Lake George. Lake and homeowners associations everywhere are looking into the steam cleaners and added regulations. The Saratoga Lake unit is "voluntary". If you read the Lake George report on 2014, they spent a half million on cleaning several hundred boats, most of which had Eurasion Milfoil which is already in Lake George. This is all an attempt by homeowners and lake organizations to privatize "their" lake, to eradicate all weeds and to make them a private playground.

The most effective deterrent to this is to hit em where it hurts. The Adirondack region relies on tourism for a substantial economic benefit. Stop scheduling events at these lakes. Contact the places you and your club used to stay at and tell them that you are boycotting because of the restrictive rules. Make sure they know what is happening.

As for the major lakes in the state, almost impossible to enact restrictions because the restrictions have to be universal or you will simply go to another less restrictive launch. But small lakes....LOOK OUT!!!. Even Fingerlakes like Keuka, Canandaigua, Honeoye and Conseus, Skaneatles and Owasco are all vulnerable to launch restrictions. Not one of those lake associations wants bass tournaments so if they can disrupt or seriously inconvenience access causing no bass tournaments to be scheduled, they couldn't be happier.

So if you enjoy fishing, if you own a boat, if you want to protect your rights as anglers and boaters, you need to get involved, stay vigilant and speak up!!

Fred Blom
President, New York BASS Nation

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Not to mention, they should have a wash station to wash the boats that come OUT of that lake. Saratoga lake already has every invasive species in it you can have pretty much.
I agree with an inspection coming out and only a wash if material is found during the inspection. The problem afterwards is that the inspectors (kids) are gone because they only are working till 4 or 5. most people that launched that day are still on the lake after they leave, they then load their boat and are gone.

I think the serious fishermen like ourselves are the least of the problem. It's the very recreational ones and the party goers that smashed by the end of the day and could care less to look their boats and trailers over after a long day on the water.

·
Crass Angler
9,937 Posts
You really think most pleasure boaters hit more than one lake? My bet is is a much greater number of fisherman go to different locations than pleasure boaters. Most just go to a lake close, or where they have a campsite.

I think if your going to combat stupid rules, use REAL statistics, not made up stuff.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I'm not saying that pleasure boaters hit more lakes than us. I'm saying that they are also part of the problem but it seems they are targeting the people fishing. I also know pleasure boaters who hit many more than the 2-4 lakes than I hit with my boat each year. When I asked them if they check their boat for weeds and etc, I get the answer for what? That's where I try to inform them of the potential harm they may be causing at other bodies of water and what they can do to reduce that risk of invasive species transfer.

If they are going to do this then it needs to be done appropriately and with better "hours" for their inspections. Possibly 1/2-1 hr before sun up and 1/2-1hr after sundown and not just 9-5. Being someone who went to college for a environmental degree, I really don't disagree with inspections and frankly think they are not that cumbersome but then again I haven't been involved in one where a boat washing station has been in place, just the invasive inspection program prior to launching and after loading.

·
Crass Angler
9,937 Posts
The problem is irresponsible boaters that frequent multiple lakes. The majority of those are going to be fisherman. They are targeting the problem.

I don't agree with the tactics, and I certainly don't like any limits placed on where I can fish, but to try and defend ourselves by pointing fingers at another group that probably isn't responsible isn't going to work.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed what the Elites are going through right now for the tournament on the Sacramento River but all their boats are being thoroughly inspected by not only Conservation Officers but dogs as well that are trained to smell for invasive species.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Please tell me that the DEC realizes that no matter how well the boat is 'washed down', they'll never be able to get the organic material between the bunks and boat? I mean wtf...how stupid can you be. Oh wait, I live in NY, joke is on me...doh!

In all seriousness, am I missing something here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts