The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
HiYa Kids HiYa HiYa
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wants to get me a Ice Shelter for Christmas. I have been looking around on line and have tentativly decided on a FRABILL Hideout. It is a 3 man shelter.
Does any one know of their products or have any other suggestions. I presently have MikeD's in my garage. I figure if we do like last year a Mahopac we can put the two of them together.
Barry

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
frabill makes some nice ones barry... but honestly, if you don't mind keeping mine in your garage you can use it anytime you want!... it's just too damn big for my apartment in NYC!... i won't be bringing it upstate cause i have a couple shanties i use there... the one in your garage is my metro area shanty so think of it as your own... in the event i go ice fishing and you can't make it, i'll swing by and pick it up... if that's cool with you, it's cool with me :)

if you're looking for something lighter and more mobile, the frabills are good...kmart also sell a good one with a plastic floor that is light... the plastic floor is the key... mine, if you recall, is a cabelas kit that i built the floor for... the wood floor makes it stable, but is heavy and a bitch to haul around as you know.

·
HiYa Kids HiYa HiYa
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, yours is still in the garage (no problem in storing it). I was looking for something to use when you can't make it and maybe a little lighter I figured that when you do go we would take both (I also just boaught a set of walkie talkies a close out at Target $14.98 whst a deal) with the 2 we can be more mobil and communicate with each other and then put them both together and have a BIG barbecue. This way no one is left out in the cold. Hope all is well. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Stacy see you next Sunday.

·
Smile, and enjoy life!!
2,160 Posts
can't help with the shanties...

but

what talkies did ya get big B. FRS?? 14 channel or 14+ steps. i have FRS and GMRS radios. they are great short to medium range radios. i have two 5 watt HF radios too. (don't ask???) the HFs are good 2-10 miles.

·
HiYa Kids HiYa HiYa
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To many technical questions. I think they are 14 channel Unidens with a 2 mile range. I think!! I'll check tonite and repost all of the particulars

·
HiYa Kids HiYa HiYa
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anyone knows what this means let me know 7 FRS&GMS Channels 7 FRS Channels 8 GMRS Channels + 7 Weather channels From NOAA
it is a uniden model tr640-2 eco terra

·
Smile, and enjoy life!!
2,160 Posts
what you have is a low wattage Family Radio Service / General Mobile Radio Service handset. they included the weather updates as a bonus. the noaa weather channel with arnold like voices is a hoot. my dads car radio has the weather channels and they work well.

GMRS - actually by law requires a license. you have to file a paper with the fcc to use it..
:confused: seriously you are supposed to. i can get you all of the info if you are so inclined.

frs requires no license, but has rules... no music may be broadcast, no cussin' ya know common sense.

the sub codes on the 14 frs channels allow you to step off of a common frequency and down to a less used but not "private" channel.

here are the gmrs rules gmrs

frs rules

listen barry.. no late nite chatting with the neighbor while peeking out the window.. you know like when you were a kid with the cans and string.

l&k robbie

·
Tinman
552 Posts
All I would say is go small. Hauling a shelter across ice is easy, but if there's a foot of snow on top of it, a big heavy shetler will really cut down the amount of area you'll be able to cover. I've got a four man Shappell and it's a monster to drag around if there is any snow on the ice.

I'm considering downgrading to a two man.

Fred

Frabill's are fine shelters by the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts