The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Hey Russ , I remember when I started and thought whatever would help me catch more would get me to the store. As time went on I think about how much was a waste of my money and time and all I needed to spend was more time on the water learning to cast more accurate and quietly to the tightest spots where bass would be held up . Next I would work toward meeting up with some of the members that fish your area or anyone that you could benefit from their experience . I have seen guys with this device but it seemed more a gimmick and a toy than what would really benefit . Even the larger screen units with such pixels do not give resolution to distinguish the details of structure that would really benefit . Again spend time putting your bait where you want it with consistent accuracy , this will bring you the bass payoff. Best of luck to you .

·
Registered
297 Posts
Bought one and not a fan. First, it has a nonreplaceable battery that may be dead when you buy it, or may have a brief life left. I think I got two uses, each maybe half an hour of in-the-water time, out of mine. I called the manufacturer and was told, in different words, that it's basically a crapshoot when you buy one as to what life it will have in it, and that's the buyer's problem.

It will tell you the depth. It will not show 6" bluegills or baitfish (at least mine did not). Mine helped me to find a dropoff and to catch one fish (turned out to be a catfish) before it expired.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I just wish I could find more time on the water. I made a trip this morning to the notoriously locked up pond this mornign on long island, and caught nothing but mud. I couldn't really move around the pond at all since the banks were soft mud. Maybe this weekend I'll try again.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Yeah Man - Don't buy it - Its literally the biggest piece of junk you can waste your money on. It works for about 2 days and then blows out, I even sent the RSS unit back to hummingbird and bought a spare one, they sent me a new one, I also sealed it up with silcone and still it blows out, it works sometimes, sometimes not. I got a boat and a Lowrance, I'll never buy a hummingbird product again knowing they could actually sell something, they know doesn't work. In terms of the Bank - Its tough this time of year, I did really well from the bank in the Spring, and you'll probably have mroe luck in a few weeks but the bass are holding main lake points and deeper structure right now. NYBAss member told me and I'll pass it along to you - Get a boat. It'll change your world. Doesn't have to be anything special, just something to get you out there - There are a ton of used kayaks on Craig'slist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.