The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
AVR
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys
I have my unit mounted to the trolling motor and hooked up to the cranking battery. However, when I step on the trolling motor, the graph gets slightly darker. Then, when I take my foot off of the trolling motor the screen gets lighter. I can still read the graph, but its annoying with the slight changes in color as I step on and off the trolling motor.

Just to be clear, the unit doesn't alternate between colors or anything like that, it just gets slightly darker (and stays darker) when my foot is on the trolling motor and then returns to "normal" lighter background when I am not on the trolling motor.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Your fish finder and your trolling motor draw relatively small amounts of current for long periods. This is what deep cycle batteries are made for. Yor cranking battery is designed to supply large amounts of current In short bursts. When you turn on your trolling motor it competes with your fish finder for current. Both get less tha otherwise and your FF dims. You should get a second deep cycle battery for youraccessoriesto be safe. You could draw the cranking battery down to where you can't start your motor. You can shorten its life this way as well.

·
Registered
671 Posts
FF to cranking battery, Troller to trolling batts, and probably a suppressor required on the Humminbird wires, available from Humminbird. Call customer services. It's a relatively common problem with all finders. Can be caused by the trolling and finder cables being in close proximity to each other and causing cross interferance.

Call humminbird.

·
AVR
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FF to cranking battery, Troller to trolling batts, and probably a suppressor required on the Humminbird wires, available from Humminbird. Call customer services. It's a relatively common problem with all finders. Can be caused by the trolling and finder cables being in close proximity to each other and causing cross interferance.

Call humminbird.
What a suppressor? Oh and this only happens in side imaging view.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ff

Hold onthere guys. He didn't describe interference. He described a darkening of the screen. The 598 has a ferrite ring next to the ff which apparently is working well. What isn't working well is running everything on the cranking battery.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If the screen darkens when the trolling motor is on, it sounds like interference to me. The finder's off the cranking, the troller's off the trolling batteries, an interaction between the two pretty much can only be interference.

·
AVR
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looks exactly like the pictures on that hummingbird FAQ. Just that the darkness/lightness happens when I step on and off the trolling motor.

Do I need a ferret ring or suppressor?
And a link to what it looks like.

Thanks

·
Registered
590 Posts
Upsvr,you already have a ferrite ring. That little round thing in the power cord just before the ff plug is a ferrite ring and if your screen isn't fuzzy and hard to read, you don't have interference. Whatyounhave is voltage drop caused by the sudden increase in load on the battery caused by the trolling motor. Connect the FF to a separate battery and this will end. If it's interference it may not.

·
AVR
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Upsvr,you already have a ferrite ring. That little round thing in the power cord just before the ff plug is a ferrite ring and if your screen isn't fuzzy and hard to read, you don't have interference. Whatyounhave is voltage drop caused by the sudden increase in load on the battery caused by the trolling motor. Connect the FF to a separate battery and this will end. If it's interference it may not.
So you think my ff is connected to the battery that the trolling motor runs on?

If not then I need a suppressor?

Very confused...as I said it looks like the pictures on the FAQ someone posted. Whether it is voltage drop or interference I am asking you guys.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
That's interference. These units are very sensitive to voltage drop, and if that was the issue the unit would show others symptoms like powering off etc. The thing to do is get your trolling motor batteries and graph/cranking battery separate. If that's not possible then buy a smaller battery to run just your graph. I've installed a number of HB graphs on bass boats ., and run an 1198, 998 and 798 on my boat, all off the cranking battery without interference. I also grounded my trolling motor which is another means of eliminating interference. That FAQ is a good resource, without knowing more about your setup it's hard to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
782 Posts
run the ff to cranking battery....make sure all other wires for whatever else u are running are not bundled or near the ff wiring....run them down the seperate side of the boat if u can....if that does not work....which i'm thinking it may not u need the part humminbird sells which others have mentioned above....if none of the solutions work u could have a bad transducer (does happen, but unlikely from what u described) or bad unit (Again, unlikely from what u described)....i'm pretty sure u need the humminibird part as others have mentioned....

·
Registered
590 Posts
In your original post you said that the trolling motor and the FF were connected to the cranking battery. If you only have one battery then that's your answer. I certainly think it's a voltage drop and not interference. Please look at youre power cord. Just before it connects to the FF there is a round flat thing inside the insulation. That is the suppressor. If your screen only dims and doesn't get fuzzy when you step on the TM it's a voltage drop not interference.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Here is what Humminbird customer service recommended for me to do to get rid of my interference on my HB 788. Every time I powered the TM, the screen got a lot of electrical interference. First off, both FF connected to cranking battery from the factory. I took the consoleoff at the bow to get to the negative (ground wire) going to the rear of the unit. I attached a 16g wire to that, and then ran thae other end down the TM to the base. Remove the clamp holding on the transducer, scraped a very small amt of paint off for a clean connection, removed small piece of insulation from grounding wire, then re-attached clamp to hold wire against cleaned metal. Works perfectly and removed 100% of my interference.

·
AVR
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok let me be clearer:
ff hooked to cranking
TM hooked to trolling motor battery

Only get interference in side imaging mode and only get a change in the shade of the background when I step on or off tm....don't get change when I am on the tm or off the tm for a long period of time.

What is a suppressor? Can you link me?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.