The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm headed out for some night fishing and am in hopes that the rain brings slightly cooler surface temps and some oxygen to the reservoirs. I've had some of my best topwater nights ever on summer nights like this after a rain.
BUT topwater for me this season has been the least active that I can remember. Normally I can get those brown fish to commit from end of May into the end of July...with many LM in the mix as well. With the anniversary of Wild Bill's passing, topwater presentations are in my mind once again. Hard to hear croaking frogs without thinking "Har, har har!!"
Just curious how others have found that ever exciting topwater bite in 2013? What may be working? Any suggestions? I plan on throwing the spook for a few hours and some wake baits....hope to have a report tomoro.
How's your topwater?

KLunker18

Have a catch
Take a kid fishing!!

·
Unicorn Chaser
871 Posts
Early in the season top water where I fished was rediculous. It had slowed down but the one tip I can share that has worked for me..
If you use a spook and your hits are coming on the stop and go and on the pause, switch to a popper.. Let the fish tell you how they want it. If their aggressive throw a buzz bait/horny toad or fish a spook. If their not crushing it slow the spook down, when you cast let it sit until the ripples go away, give it one twitch "usually get bit here " let the ripples disappear , now continue walking it . Pause every 5-10 feet and If their coming on the pause go popper. Good lck !

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Fish I caught last weekend were all top water. Just have to go slow. I lot go deep but some fish will hold in really shallow if there is shade. I hit those little pockets. I like buzzing spinners on top. The place were I was fishing the week before was all top water spinner baits.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Got my first top water bite last Sunday on a sexy dog fished over a creek on almost the same exact spot that I caught a smallie on last year same time.
Fish this time was a largemouth and she crushed it. T he strike was tremendous. However I do not use top waters that much as fish 90% plastics but the strikes are awesome.
Steve A

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Top water has been slow for me this year on every reservoir, the only one I had some success with was Gilead believe it or not, I fished there a few days in June and the Largemouth were hammering the Pop Rs and Chug Bugs, but once July hit that bite stopped as well.

·
Life is good !
3,757 Posts
Not very good lately Them same 5 snapping turtles ( about the size of a garbage can cover ) still lingering ( about 8 days ) over my fav. weed line.Can't catch a bite 5am -7:30 am

1 - 9 of 9 Posts