The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any favorite places to fish that are accessible by the train in NYC? Prospect Park Lake and Central Park Lake seem to be pretty obvious choices, but I was wondering if any of you would be willing to share a great spot. Thanks.

·
Administrator
11,533 Posts
It not a great spot but ok is Van Cortlandt in the bronx, which is walkable from where the train leaves you at Bway & 242
There are bass, good shore access and big enough to keep you busy for a day.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I have been over to Van Cortlandt twice this year and it looks like a cesspool. Worse than last year. I saw one fish hit something in the weeds but that was it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not the healthiest body of water, eh? I may still have to venture over there for a change of pace. Thanks for the tip.

·
A Knight Without Armour
4,033 Posts
Scores or Lace.

·
Ever had a frogasm??
1,747 Posts
I haven't not fished it since I lived there in 05-06 but I'm not sure within Subway distance there is anywhere else you need to go besides Prospect.

·
Administrator
11,533 Posts
I have been over to Van Cortlandt twice this year and it looks like a cesspool. Worse than last year. I saw one fish hit something in the weeds but that was it.
That lake takes a beaten as that park attracts loads of people.

·
Registered
567 Posts
if you already live in brooklyn you have need of no other city lake than prospect. most bass per acre of all ny state lakes. have seen bass up to 7lbs there and probably bigger. tons of different types of cover. only problem is the boat rentals, but if you go early or late you won't deal with them.

·
Ever had a frogasm??
1,747 Posts
There used to be a good group of guys I'd hook up with for Prospect Park outings. it was simple fishing and i caught some awesome fish, sure do wish i had a scale for those bad boys.

·
Ever had a frogasm??
1,747 Posts
those were both caught on plastics. both in late march/early April. Its pretty easy to tell where both came from if you fish there enough.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bruce, thank you for the links and the wealth of information. I had no idea that there are over 20 lakes and ponds that I can fish in NYC. Thank you, thank you, and thank you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts