The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
AVR
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tricks for fishing a lake that is abnormally high? Do you think the fish move closer to shore since the water is now deeper there?
What is the overall impact of high water on fishing?

Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Initially some fish can be found in freshly flooded terrrain. Once that greenery starts to rot/die the fish pull out. If the water level stays high enough eventually they might return.Timing is the key during the day and if it is shady. They might be up there 10% of the time and 90% as said above. The summer outside weed lines or deeper structure are were thay are at. I've seen some crappie fisherman so far into the forest on Black Lake hooting and hollering that you know there on them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It probably depends on the body of water to some degree. There is a rule of thumb that fish will move in the direction of the water, toward shore when rising and deeper as water recedes. this probably is more reliable in rivers, but Sat morning I fished the local lake. Water was high and stained. I found lots of 2.5-3 lbers right up tight to the bank. Caught them casting a 5" weightless worm right up on the bank and easing it into the water. Boated 10 lmb in a little over 4 hrs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.