The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
Ever have one of those days where you just can’t get a song or jingle out of your head? We’re all fishermen here, so how about those days when a particular lure talks to you? For some reason those are two similar feelings to me. I don’t know if “talks” is the right word when describing the feeling of need to throw a particular lure… but this one was calling me all day. I just got a few Strike King baits as I over-shopped at Dick’s the other day, and that Sexy Dawg had my attention! I always like Gold colors and orange bellies on topwater lures for fishing the NY Reservoirs. I think it matches up with the sunfish found in the waters and the smallies in particular seem to hit them hard. So armed with my new topwater and anxious with that feeling, I headed out after work yesterday to find some fish.

Finding fish was the intention, but can’t say that was the result for the first hour and a half of fishing. I really like how that Sexy Dawg casts and retrieves. You can walk it side-to-side in short spurts and it can also glide very well if you want more of a sashay to your retrieve. It also casts a mile and I noticed that while flying through the air it sails with the hooks up and sort of knuckle balls as it travels. Can’t say I’ve noticed other lures that consistently fly like this. I’m not sure if there is a benefit or detraction to this flight pattern, but you sure can whip that thing!

Frustrated with nothing other than cast and retrieval experiments, I decided it was time to listen to arguably the best song combo of all time. Enter 6-9-77 at Winterland!!! As I hit play and directed my boat to my favorite flat, the opening lyrics of the legendary Trifecta rang true…”Paradise waits.”

Now location, lure, and song were all working together. First cast while positioned in 13 FOW and that Sexy Dawg got pumped by this Largemouth! It was ON after that! I rarely went more than three casts without a nice topwater explosion resulting in a fish. The fish were hitting as the bait landed, after a few twitches, mid-retrieve, and right at the boat. Twice as I was pulling the lure out of the water to cast again! Those scared the crap out of me!

Transition to Slipknot was a perfect time to retie! Even though I was in essentially open water, the 12 pound mono was rather frayed from all of the fighting. I’ve been tying the extremely easy Eugene knot lately so that’s what I twisted up. Sure was a slipknot gig, slipknot gig, slipknot gig. Being that my gear was reset, I busted out “Did someone say Help on the way” and casted to 4 in a row smallies that all weighed 3.4. With the excitement of nailing so many nice fish, they each looked bigger than the last. Unfortunately Mr. Berkley set me straight with the proper weight. This fish were fat and round…just like the man on guitar.

I had a real blast out there. As the darkness set, in of course Mr. Pickerel showed up to play. This one didn’t go on the scale but hit the measuring tape at 22inches. Two more of his buddies entered my boat within the next 5 minutes and I decided it was time to let the Four winds blow me home again!!
Thanks for reading.
KLunker18
Have a catch
Take a kid Fishing!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
awesome report and pics Kevin..you just cant beat topwater madness with some solid tunes..and that weather last night..was just sweet!! well done..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Best report ever! After your first text last night, I seriously considered blowing off my plans in the city and hitting the water. Thanks for sharing. It's fun when your buds are catching, even if you're just wishing you were out there, too. Nicely done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.