The New York Bass Forums banner

help finding a good marina to fix my boat

Tags
marina repair
4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  pasbass 
#1 ·
i have a 96 merc 150hp outboard on a 96 astro. the boat runs great with no issues other then while im on plane it started to cut out for a split second then turn right back on and continue going. towards the end of the season it would do it alot more almost every time i would go for a run. that last few times i took it out it would actually shut off and i would have to restart it. it is a ectric problem according to a so called boat mech. who drove it and test the fuel with gauges and said to bring it back in the spring so he can start looking into the electric harness. I dont know this guy well enough and not sure he knows what he is doing. can some one please request some one who is well know or legit to fix my boat. i also have a few other thing i want done. i live near poughkeepsie ny but i am willing to drive a hour or so. i know i will have to wait till the ice melts since the problem does not happen on a hose. but i would like to set something up so it will be ready before my first tournement in may. thanks for the help guys

#3 ·
can you give me a little more details on your motor and what it is doing? Is your merc the F/I xr6? or is it carbed? They came both ways in that year. Also, what RPM's does it seem to be doing it? What prop are you running? Has your fuel lines been upgraded to the new Ethanol marine friendly fuel lines? When is the last time you replaced the plugs/fuel filter?

Doesn't sound electrical to me.

I went through the same exact thing on my last skeeter...it was a fuel issue.

#4 ·
It is fuel injection xr6. Im not sure in the prop (same prop I bought it with 2years ago). It ononly does it at mid to high rpm. It feels like if you were to flip the kill switch real fast on and off. Supposedly the guy ruled out it be a fuel problem. But once again I'm not sure he knows as much as he said. Is it possible the kill switch could be bad? It has to be tested on the water because it won't happen when you run it on a hose. Just looking to take it somewhere that is reasonable with a good turn around time.

#5 ·
It is possible that the kill switch is bad but not likely. Is the kill switch loose? meaning does it have any play in it? Also, its not doing it at home under the ear's because the motor doesnt have any "load" on it.

It could be a stator issue or alternator / belts....but I would start with the fuel system.

#15 ·
It could be a stator issue or alternator / belts....but I would start with the fuel system.
no belts or alternator on a efi xr 6 u may be thinking of a newer motor the optimax or the promax 280 , stator issues would limit rpm's to 2500
if it were burnt or worse wont charge the main battery and it wont turn over

#6 ·
It is your main wire harness at front right of the motor. I just dealt with exact same condition with identical motor. The plastic coupling is broke and they don't make it anymore. 65# braid and a whole lot of self bonding tape will cure it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Yes sir, just lift the cover and you will see how much play the two giant wires have at the connection. You lose power when running because the rubber isolators from many years ago have worn down a bit, therefore the entire engine bounces in the slightest of chop and eventually loosens the electrical connection from your boat to the motor. That's why I could never put a gopro on the cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
ok first off the main harness coming into the motor is connected to the motor harness right near the starter motor a big black connector. What happens over time the pin or sockets develope corrosion. Fix is simple pull the connector apart take a straight pin and insert it into the center of the pins Its a 4 piece pin that spreads them apart just a little remove pin btw. clean the connector both ends with a contact spray cleaner. put a little dielectric grease on them and plug it back together
one more thing to clean. the negative cable from the battery where it bolts to the block. remove the bolt and get that area really clean. I cant tell ya how many problems ive cured on efi motors due to a bad ground connection.
Go fishing.

#17 ·
Well u said it is fuel injection xr6. Well that's impossible fuel injected mercs are either XRI or EFI. XR6 are carbureted engines only. If it is EFI could be fuel pump issue meaning losing power at mid range speed. Kill switches work or they don't work the only way they are intermittent is when a ground is lose. Make sure which engine u have first. Where are u located? I am a Merc tech

#20 ·
Nitrobass
I keep a boat at White's Marine for many years. A 33 ft Chis Craft with twin Merc 225's. I also have 2 bass boats. One is a 22 ft Ranger with a Merc Pro XB racing engine the other with a 1992 Mercury 2.4L 150. Don White from White's Marine maintains all my boats.

There are only 2 Mercury Certified Diamond Level Master Mechanics in our area. One is Ocean Outboard in Massapequa, Long Island.
Joey Impressia is a legend in offshore outboard racing circles and has an amazing shop down there...the other is White's Marine in New Hamburg referenced above by "Basstard". Don and his son are excellent mechanics. They have never taken advantage of me. I believe I can say that you can trust them to do the right thing. Anita is Don's sister and works the office.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.