The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am quite new to fishing in USA so I would like to ask you guys to please take it easy, if some questions are out line.

Last Summer I did some exploring in Harriman state park without much luck, and now I am thinking to take a trip to the lakes again in the following week or so.

My question is actually for those who are from the area or fishes there.

Can you guys please advise if lakes at Harrimans are still frozen or it's an open water now?
I live in Brooklyn, so it's quite a trip for me, just to go and see for my self.

Also assuming that it's open water, is there a chance of shore fishing or I should live that idea till it gets much warmer?

As for lures and bait would you suggest combination of live bait and lures or something in particular?

At this point I am hunting for fishing spots and if lucky most likely it will be catch and release, so I am not planning for any particular species of fish.

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

·
Nice lil fishy !!!!
1,500 Posts
They are frozen over still.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Just a heads-up on early season black bass regulations, especially since you mentioned live bait.

December 1 - Friday preceding the 3rd Saturday in June Catch and release only Artificial lures only

Use, Possession and Transportation of Purchased Baitfish

Certified baitfish are those that have been tested and found to be free of specified diseases. Use of certified baitfish helps prevent the spread of fish diseases. Certified baitfish purchased from a bait dealer can be transported overland in a motorized vehicle and used on any body of water where it is legal to do so. For baitfish to be considered certified, a dated receipt containing the seller's name, the species of fish and the number of each species sold must be obtained from the seller and retained by the purchaser while in possession of the baitfish. Baitfish without a receipt or with a receipt that is older than 10 days shall be considered uncertified bait.

·
psycho bass fisherman
3,209 Posts
Those lakes Wont be completly be iced out till the first or seconed week in April(They never are,especialy the higher elevated lakes),I know Askoti is one of the lakes they stock with trout as well as Island pond,Askoti has tons of shore acces,Im not a live bait guy so what ever fishWalk said^^^^^LOL.

·
Banned
25 Posts
If you are into pickerel, the ice-out period can be very good. But as has been stated, things won't be thawed out for a while...

·
Registered
956 Posts
I was ice fishing on Welch this past Thursday and there was 15 inches of ice. However the park closed it to ice fishing over the weekend because of te warm rain. Afraid of getting sued if someone falls in.
Ice out usually occurs by the third week in March.
Practice catch and release on the bass year round please
steve a

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much guys!!!! Appreciate your help plus saved me a trip. As for live bait i was actually thinking of worms rather than fish, but anyhow thanks for heads up. Hope will make my contributions to this forum as well.

Good luck everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts