The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some fishing in over the long weekend, not as much as I would have liked but can't complain - Including Lake Welch on Thursday AM - 6:00-11:30 and the Chattahoochee River outside of Atlanta GA on 8/31 from 6:30AM-10AM

Welch - Raining in the AM, then cleared off - Yielded some active bass chasing bait fish - I could see the Shad Jumping, tossed right into the middle of the action and tagged about 3 bass off main island points and drop offs- I made the mistake of heading to the back areas of the lake, fished the pads and creek channels, but nothing biting - Caught one Dink on a Top Water Spook. Headed back out to main lake and got some more - Total of about 9 bass including 2 Smallies. Also got one nice Pickeral - My reel was wet from the rain though and I slipped on the hook set and hit the reel release, needless to say I got the worst bird's nest thus far on my baitcaster and lost about 100 yards of Fluro. Boated the pickeral though. Biggest was just an oz or 2 over 3 lbs. Most came in between 2-2.5 LBS.

Chattahoochee - The river apparently holds some bass, but I got nothing, I fished from the bank, and saw some nice looking trout but didn't have trout gear - I then decided to hit some Scum Pond on the grounds of the park and pulled out 2 small bass and lost another, he got wrapped around a tree branch and snapped my spinning reel line. 10 Lbs. Test. Apparently, I needed to head further South past one of the major damns, that's where the bass were, but I didn't have time and only had one day. I brought my spinning reel and picked up some Berkeley cherry-wood rod from Wally World (Walmart) - Couldn't fit my rod in my suit case.

At least I got to go to the Bass Pro Shop, picked up a new reel and ordered a new rod - Chronarch 7.0 and St. Croix Mojo Bass Rod. Also a pic of a huge LM from their tank.

Some Pics Attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good job on Welch.. I'm a bit scared to try that lake now because of all my skunks there lately.. maybe they just don't like me.. bleh.. lol
I haven't been officially skunked since Rockland Lake back in the dead heat of July - By the same token though, I haven't gotten anything in the 5lbs. category since the Spring. But I can feel the fatties coming my way, each trip over the last 3 weeks or so has managed to produce bigger bass then the last one. It's only a matter of time . . . Hope this weekend produces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.