The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit Harriman again this weekend, its close to my house, there are plenty of lakes and some descent bass, so why not keep @ it. Some little punks were telling me about a tourney @ Welch last weekend, where the lunker was 6LBs. 14 oz. would have liked to see that. (If you're reading this, I'm sure you weren't punks, I just refer to anyone in your age bracket that way)

Fished with a Partner on Sat. managed only about 7 Bass between us from 6:15AM-11:30AM, nothing too notable - size wise. I bagged 2 pickerel also. Most everything was taken on a Jig. Lake was really weed choked so it was tough breaking through, if not impossible. I fished mostly outside weed edges, he fished mostly inside shallow rocks and pads.

Sun. was a Solo Flight - Started right off the boat launch along the bank, and bagged a Dink. I had been avoiding Welch up until now, but it proved to be pretty good. I got about a dozen bass, that 1 dink on the bank and the rest came from deep weed edges near structure / deep water. All the good bass were taken on a texas rigged worm. I lost a good one right at the side of the boat, he spit the hook, still had some fight in em when I tried to boat him.

The best were just a shy under 3 lbs. - Again, nothing huge but overall the Bass are packing on some guts. Little fatties been eating. Also got some fight back in 'em.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Nice job out on Welch , the bite of the better bass does pick up as the summer winds down and fall approaches . You've learned just how much Kanawauke can be easier to walk on than catch once it gets so heavily weed choked . Dallin , a PM will be sent your way momentarily . Again nice job.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shouldn't be long now until the bigger fish start feeding heavy!!.....Nice weekend shots!!!
That's what I'm talking about!! - I've spent the better part of this year fishing many different lakes in the Rockland Area. I think I've narrowed it down to a few lakes to bag some fatties this fall. With the last few days of summer here, I'm going to try and concentrate on these bodies of water to find the best possible locations to harvest the big boys this fall.

This is my plan, but the fish may have some plans of their own.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice man I was out on Sebago myself sunday. chilly in the am but turned into a beautiful day. jig and spinnerbaits got the fish
Did turn out nice and not too many people on Welch, which was good. I never got to the spinner bait, I do love me some spinner bait, but its usually about 4th on my list of go to baits. This time out I replaced it with a Rattl' Trap instead and got one small bass, I think he would have taken just about anything I threw though, cause I didn't catch anything else on it and he took it as soon as it landed, must of hit him on the head :laugh:.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
It was a hit them on the head weekend. The 5 I got Saturday with the exception with the biggest took the jig as soon as it hit the water. The biggest one chased it and I saw her coming and killed it on the edge of the weeds.

·
Registered
145 Posts
nice harriman report.. I want to check the place out again this week.. if I have time that is.. but good to see the lakes still producing.. great job!

how is cranking like on those lakes? I was thinking of trying that out as well

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I use jigs, plastics and spinner baits for almost all of the Harriman lakes. An occasional spook when the top water so good

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cranks are pretty low on my list of baits, I'll throw them when i'm throwing the kitchen sink, sometimes a jerk bait or a swim bait, seems i always end up getting snagged or pullin weeds, prefer the jig and soft plastics, with several riggin techniques. also agree with beer geek- zara spook for top water. I will and did throw the lipless rattl' trap as mentioned but usually over deeper water hoping for a suspended reaction strike

·
Registered
145 Posts
so far everything Ive been catching is my usualy fav jig lures.. my friend caught a smallie on a popper once and the rest on senkos.. i had a bite on a spinnerbait @ sebago once.. but other than that.. everything on jigs.. I'll explore and expand to see what works as the fall season approaches.. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
yea Welch.. don't know what's going on with me.. did jigs, top water, cranks, doubts, nothing... from 7am to 12.. and called it.. was with Stasheo and Rockland.. wasn't much going on with me. I'll try my lake which is producing which is sebago next time..

what were you using that was working for you if you don't mind me asking?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts