The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ask your local "friendly pharmacist" to save the dessicant canisters from any manufacturer medicine bottles...

When you store your hardbaits, or hooks, in the Planos, throw a couple of these in there with the baits...You dont need one in every compartment, but the more the better...These canisters will "adsorb" moisture and help prevent rust in the long run...

I have been experimenting with this for two years now, and find that my hooks and the overall condition of my bait hardware is lasting much better than it use to...

Be sure to instruct the pharmacist to store the dessicants in a sealed bottle until you pick them up from him...Because if exposed to ambient air, they will adsorb atmospheric moisture and fill up before you can get your hands on them...

Good long term protection in somewhat sealed tackle boxes...

Mark D

·
Banned
3,510 Posts
Gee !!!!! Anyone know a "friendly pharmacist" I could speak to ?????????????

Maybe one that works near my office.??

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
and while your'e at it Mark, can you throw a few 'roids into the containers for me! LOL.......

·
Registered
195 Posts
Some dessicants can be rejuvinated by drying the packets out in a warm oven before re-using.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pete,

You scratch my back i'll scratch yours...I'm looking for a five bedroom, 4 bath, 2 fireplace, 2 car garage, lakefront house for less than 100 K...lol...Come and see me anytime...

John, if you "buff up" any more than you are, you'll have to buy all new clothes...Besides the roids can shrink the pee pee...

Good tip mac...I never tried that...But it makes perfect sense that the moisture dries off and they become reusable...Thanks, and welcome to the board...

Mark D

·
LM BASS
2,588 Posts
Mark,
And does that house need to be in Yonkers?
How 'bout that one behind Nathans near the fenced in pond?
Or the clubhouse at Sprain Lake Golf Course?
Or the pool at Tibbets Park?
Or the best kept secret of all- the one next to the pond at Cook (Redmond) Field.
Several other possibills as well.
See your friendly Real Estate agent.
Gary

·
Banned
3,510 Posts
Mark - If it`s out there , I`ll find it !!!!!!!!

Get your check book ready!!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I never thought of that, using dessicants in the tacklebox. :cool:

I do have a couple other thoughts about it though:

You can rejuvenate some dessicants in an oven, but many will also absorb other volatile, smelly things in addition to water. Personally, I would just replace the absorbents once a year rather than risk stinking up a kitchen.

:argue:Wife: Honey, what in the world are you cooking?:argue:

Some of the common dessicants are corrosive, make sure they don't spill in your tacklebox.:eek:

I'll add this to my list of tacklebox organization tasks for the winter, nice tip Mark!:beerchug:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gary,

Stop giving up my stomping grounds !!!...lol

Really though, I haven't fished Tibbets since I was a rug rat, Cooke/Redmond either...I dont know the one up by Nathans...Although I do remember something up there near a baseball field...Is that near Crisfield ?...But The Golf Course, well, lets just say that I can be a guide on that lake if I were allowed to be...lol..I would love to own that clubhouse as a home...Heck, if I could own that property, I would take the "cart cabana" for a home and let the help sleep in the main house...lol...

Papa John, you are right...The desicants will have an affinity for odor molecules too...Its not really absorbtion though but is "adsorbtion"...They really only superficially bind the water or scent molecules that they pull away from their surroundings...Good point about the Smelly Kitchen...Solution: Get rid of the wife and use her closet space to store Berkley Powerbaits...

Mark D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts