The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it out Sat./Sun. AM for some B-Day fishing, turned 30 on Friday . . .Anyway, hit my spot again and sure enough it continues to produce nice bass. - Sat. was a little brutal temperature wise, but it cooled off Sunday and the Action Picked up.
Water Vis. 2-4 feet, with sunlight. I did quite a bit of Sight Fishin' - Fish were circling between Shallow Flats and Deep Drop offs, coming up on the Flats to Feed, which is where I got a lot of them. Very little Weed Growth, which was a nice change. Good Amount of Huge Boulders, which made shore fishing really Prime. Thought there would be some Small Mouth but both Days yielded all LM.

Another nice note, see Pic. I was hanging out most of the morning with these Beavers. I know it sounds a little strange but I believe they actually helped my cause. Here's Why: They dropped a huge numbers of trees, I really could not believe how many Trees these little guys took down as I was walking around the Lake. They also sheared off most of the branches so there were just trunks hangin’ out into the water, I believe the effects were 3 fold - A.) The Timber provided Great Bass Cover. B.) The Trees and Decaying Wood, Produced an Oxygen Rich Water Environment, despite the Heat, which helped keep the Fish “Swallow” and C.) The Lack of Branches made for great casting lanes and very few snags.

Baits – All Finesse Baits once Again. Wacky, Drop Shot and of Course My Trusty Jig.

Some Notes on the Baits – Wacky – First time I’ve used this technique and I like it, it seems to fish “Faster” then a weightless Senko or Dragging the Jig – Issue – Big Bass Took the Bait from opposite side of the hook and my set failed. Another time the Bait Folded over on itself during the strike and failed to set.

DropShot – I keep getting “small” bass on this rig – Any suggestions on how to UpSize? Should I use a bigger bait, duh? I got the suggestion to use the 4 Inch Shad Swim Baits.

Jig – I did notice, from our discussion last week that the Strike King Regular Jigs have Thin wire hooks and could easily bend. I mainly use the Tournament Series though and they have sturdy hooks.

The Results – 24 Bass over 2 Mornings (3 or 4 hours in the AM) of Fishing – Each day yielded about a dozen bass, I did some prospecting of new locations on Sunday, probably could had more but we’ll save them for next time.

The Biggest ones were two or three - 4 Lbs. and the One LM below, which was Just about 5 Lbs. maybe 4.75 – I’m also getting considerably worse at getting self pics., Haha The other pic is a 3.5# - Admittedly I didn’t weigh them but I’ve weighed a lot of fish recently and have a good sense of where they are. I’m trying to get them back in the Water Quickly, so too Take a self – pic with a timer and Weigh them sometimes seems like too long.

Attachments

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
nice report of 2 good mornings of fishing.
you'll catch fish of all sizes on that drop shot. not sure if larger bait helps or not but mix it up until you are happy. it's a great technique.

Purchase a scale....here comes the weight guessing haters!!!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice report of 2 good mornings of fishing.
you'll catch fish of all sizes on that drop shot. not sure if larger bait helps or not but mix it up until you are happy. it's a great technique.

Purchase a scale....here comes the weight guessing haters!!!
I have a scale, I weighed a Few earlier in the day but Like I said, sometimes it just takes too long to get the pic and weigh them, in the Case of the 4.75, I'll down size for the sake of saving the haters the trouble, the scale was on the bank and I was out on a rock. it was substantially larger then a 3.5 Lber I had just weighed an hour before hand.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I like the 4 inch d/s baits like roboworm and flukes,....I also usePower Team Lures Hammer Shad and finicky tickler worm and berkeley Chigger Craws.....Sometimes I go smaller like 3" and do really well....guess it's easier for a bigger fish to engulf....Nice fish you got......Thanks for sharing your report

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the B-Day wishes - I think writing it down helps to recall the situations . . . nothing will supplement for "on-water" experience of course and this particular spot, is giving me a lot of that. Since I can see the fish for the most part and watch their behaviors. It's really interesting to watch them circle around on set "paths", some in schools, others on their own, it seems the bigger ones don't travel as much, they just kind of hide out and wait, almost like they know they have a prime spot and don't need to leave to find food, it'll come to them - It's also very cool to watch them examine baits and casually swim away from some, almost peck at others and then engulf the ones they really want. Bank fishing also really helps me solidify the pattern, because I don't want to change spots as often and since I can see there are fish right there, I just need to find what's working, once I have that its all good. So, my take away is this - If I know there are fish in a spot, I'll stick with it and find what's working, keep that bait on and this will help me determine if there are fish in other spots when I can't see them or don't know they are there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts