The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some video shot in an underwater junkyard in the St Lawrence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KwcLXd3-oE

The way the cars settled in to the bottom, along with the heavy zebra mussel coating , and a bit of suspended silt reminded me of how cars look buried in a good old WNY lake effect snow. There's a few nice bass that visited with us.

Happy Holidays to all.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
nice! some great sized smallies came up to check you guys out. Its funny how many fish are interested in us Scuba divers and arent scared at all.

what were the water temps?

·
Banned
124 Posts
That is some fantastic footage of what I am sure is not only going a very productive stretch of structure,but,also a graveyard for jigs.:laugh:Some lovely coontail also.That area looks like a true hotspot.

·
Wishin' I'm Fishin'
18,645 Posts
Very cool footage !
Thanks for sharing that with us.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Pretty cool footage! I wonder why they disposed of off of Grindstone Island? There are no bridges to Grindstone, so they would have to drive a little ways on the ice. Probably wasn't the most legal thing to do, maybe that's why they chose to drive that far. :laugh:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The temps were in the low 70,s when we hit it in Late August, but you might be able to ice skate over them now. It's a nice site to use kill your tank after a deeper St Larry's wreck dive Smokin.

I think they were Island cars and trucks. As Brandon mentioned, there is no bridge, People probably kept an older car out on the island, and when they needed too much work, well I suppose it was easier, cheaper, and safer to push them onto the ice than try to tow them back to the mainland over the ice, or pay to have them ferried over in the summer. Couldn't get away with it today, but the newest vehicle down there was probably mid 1950's, so they probably found the bottom in the mid to late 60's before the environmental movement began.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts