The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.bassfan.com/opinion_article.asp?ID=1217#.Uh9ggT9WqZR Joe Balog. He's made some very interesting points about fish care during long runs especially in rough water. I know we've all been out in rough water in a bass boat getting beat to death, well think about those fish in your well!. Well in the past I had about a 30 mile run on Northern Champlain and on the way back had to stop 2 times to fill my live well - because of the water being forced out the overflow. I made up a plug to go in the over flow & the problem was solved. I read this past week that many bass pros fishing St Clair who had made long runs had to make stops to refill live wells for this same reason. I feel that live well systems should have a way (for these situations to close the over flow) I know its made a huge difference in the way my fish now look after making long rough runs.

Just something more to think about.

Mark

·
HardCore
1,858 Posts
I once made the long run on Champlain in a tourney and hit about 10 miles of VERY rough water. The kind you just can't run, you've got to climb each wave individually. Nasty. Meanwhile, the strainer for the recirculating pump was acting like a fish scaler. All my fish were alive when I weighed 'em, but they didn't have a scale on them. All the sacles were in the bottom of the well. Never felt so bad about weighing in a limit in my life.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'll lose a little water from my Skeeter if I don't plug the overflow, but they come with plugs designed just for this purpose. On long rough water runs I will stop and check on the fish though, I've seen too many crazy things happen, just like RichZ's story above.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes - I agree but when you read that a few bass pro's had to stop for water just made me wonder and then reading the story today, makes you think that's all. I have always done everything possible to keep my fish in as best shape as possible run them to weigh in, put some water back in the bag if the weigh in was far from the water and get my fish back in the water as fast as possible. What I hate to see the most is a guy weigh in a good bag then on his way to put them back in the lake stop three times and talk and take his time with no water or nothing in the bag - to me this is disturbing....

Oh well - I know most of us on this site probably do as much as possible to care for the fish that we all love to catch!.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts