The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Saw that video the other day, its got some good insight as to how the pros make ends meet.

I will say that I was impressed that Rigid Industries had a backup boat ready for Brandon in case he has mechanical issues. They've treated him well, and they are getting some excellent exposure via his success.

He put 1000-1500 miles on his boat between the tourney and practice, and close to 30 hours on the engine I bet, that's more than most put on in a season!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I said say anywhere from $1500-2000 in just boat gas, especially since he had to fill up on the water. At least he has a 4 stroke and didn't have to buy oil too, lol. When you are fishing for $100,000 + classic entry, how much you spend on gas doesn't really matter. Heck, a lot of club fisherman treat club tournaments like an elite event and have no problem burning up $300 in boat gas to try to win $200. :laugh:

·
Angler
232 Posts
This is from today's Bassfan.com article:

"I knew that I was going, but I wanted to see just how big of a risk I was taking. I wanted to know where the fuel stops were (he was forced to gas up each way as he burned about 75 gallons on each competition day) and I had to know the exact route I was going to run."

So if its 4 bucks a gallon up there (or more on the water), that's $1200 for the tourney. He needs some write-offs for that winning check anyway.... I am sure the shop owners up there appreciate the business!

-CN

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
The expense that intrigued me was how much did each of Brandons marshals pay for that boat ride ; especially Saturdays? Travel, lodging, fee to BASS for the privilege.

On a run like that, time is the only expense to consider or you are in the wrong business.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I run the same boat. I figure 1 dollar a mile. He more than broke even Pat, best part of this thread... If I read things correctly, he was way down the list to make the classic... needed a win... Classic is money in the bank... A quality tax guy can help these pros with expenses.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
not sure if I'd want to be his Marshal on those rough days... man that's a long rough ride!... He was lucky that the winds were not too insane out of the west or he would have never made it!

Mark

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
not sure if I'd want to be his Marshal on those rough days... man that's a long rough ride!... He was lucky that the winds were not too insane out of the west or he would have never made it!

Mark
From following the live blog, it looked like the last couple of days (Sunday for sure) they put a camera man in his boat and the marshall was in a camera boat. The camera boat trailered down to the Henderson launch and met BP at his spot, so they were there before he started fishing. That guy(s) got lucky, much better driving down 81 than getting there by water. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
oh yeah.... I've always been a boater but the few times I've fished in friends boat as a co - just nothing to hold on to and your just not seeing the rough water as the boater does.... If I was fishing as a co - that would be one thing but just as a non fishing Marshall! yikes! no way would I want to be on that boat - at least the camera guy was getting paid!

Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.