The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got word that this outdoor store in roosevelt field is now open. Loads of stuff, blows Sports Authority away.....Im heading out now....

Ill report later on what exactly they got...

Joe

·
Registered
86 Posts
Galyans, isn't that one of Grigsby's special places?...

Joe, I expect a full report...Cha-ching $$$

Mark D

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've seen the one in Buffalo and it's pretty good as far as I'm concerned. Will definitely blow sports authority away. Got a report from a friend the other night. He was impressed. Looking forward to making a trip over there. That is when that new baby starts sleeping through the night!

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
guys and gals

wow....all the stuff you'll ever need.....freshwater wise.....

senkos, hula grubs etc by Yammie....Zoom stuff..Strike kings...Berkelys...Uncle Josh.....jigs....hooks Gammie EWG in bleeding red!!!...my beloved P-line Floroclear......owners jigheads....dropshot weights....

St Croix Premiers....in short.. ... EVERYTHING YOU'LL EVER NEED....

I got dizzy....gotta go back again in a few days....

best thing is....10 mins away!!!!

And the clothes....jackets....hunting stuff...winter sports....outdoor stuff...camping.......

lucky us LI boys.......

Joe

·
Registered
130 Posts
There is another Galyans in Woodbridge NJ. It just opened last month. The stores have similar floor plans so they should all have a great fishing section. They also make a good Senko knockoff that is 5.5 inches long. Caught 3 bass on them today.

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they got their own line of rods and baits...yeah, Mark...they sponsor Grigsby's show...

some great colors of senkos they got....their stock of Rapala crankbaits are awesome..#7 Shad raps...DT's....Husky's....tungsten weights....

trolling motors..chargers....

awesome store.....you'd think BPS would have beat them to the punch here on LI.....

Wonder what Sports Authority is thinking now....last time I checked, they were poorly stocked.....

·
8,124 Posts
joe p,

Thanks for the info, sounds like a great store and it's only about a 25 minute ride from my house in Queens.
I got to check it out because Sports Authority sucks and I can't keep driving 2 hours everytime I want to go to Cabela's ! :D

Ronnie

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yup ...

Gotta agreee with Joe ... the place is HUGE ...

I was kinda skepitcal, think ing they might take the same route as Sports Authority, and Wal-Mart and only offer a limited freshwater section and focus heavily on saltwater stuff ....

I was wrong!

As you walk into the fishing section the first thing I notice is that they have a large backlit photo of three guys fishing off a Triton TR-20 bassboat ... Heck, I dont think 90% of Long Island has ever seen a bassboat so that was encouraging .... A quick walk around and it was clear they are definitelty geared towards freshewater fishing of all kinds .... However, a couple of the salespeople were commenting about the small saltwater collection, they were disppointed .... Hopefully the freshwater stuff will sell and they wont turn it around the other way .... We really dont have anyplace like this nearby ...

They have pretty much everything you need for freshwater fishing, be it bass, trout, crappie .. they seem to have it all covered ....

Their Galayan's branded rods were all HMG graphite and came in different series from $24-$70. They all had Fuji hardware and seemed to be quality pieces .... Other brands I saw were, St. Croix, Rapala, Shimano, and Berkeley .. The salesguy said they would be getting in G Loomis stuff very soon .... and that all the fishfinders and more reels would be in next week ... As well as more merchandise in all the other departments .... Which he said is why they are having a second Grand Opening event on Saturday 10/25.

Good luck to them! ... Check it out! :beerchug: :beerchug:

·
Protect the 2nd Amendment
791 Posts
Don't know if you noticed...good hunting section???...guns???

Sound's good...thank's for the info...

Matt

·
Registered
79 Posts
They had RACKS AND RACK of guns ... right next to fishing ...

(note from JOHN G:

But no ak47s......HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHha...)

·
Protect the 2nd Amendment
791 Posts
Jet...Thank's...

...COOL...

I know where I'm going this weekend...

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
more stuff

I went there today minus my son....took my sweet time browsing....

trolling motor accessories.........tackle logic storage bags.....premier AND avid St Croix's....boat accessories such as down riggers....rod savers....

Northland products like jigheads...spoons.....hair jigs by Arkie....Zara Spooks in many colors....owner mosquito hooks....Gammie Trailer hooks....Zoom chunks....spinnerbaits in every style....terminators, Strike kings.....inline spinners for muskie!!!!.....

and a whole lot more......

joe

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Sure hope I'm wrong

But I gotta wonder how long such a large retail freshwater department can last in a store like that in our area. Just can't see there being enough of us freshwater enthusiasts to support such a large venture.....Sure hope I'm wrong!!:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree JP. Hopefully it will stay that way. Oh, and by the way, let's not forget the Ronkonkoma Outfitters and Causeway's out there. Although it might not be the same experience as walking into a Bass Pro or in this case Galyan's and getting the same kind of browsing experience. I'm quite sure these guys can get you anything you want in a reasonable amount of time and a good price.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Dean, Thanks so much,

I'm reading this thread and trying not to cry. Its a bitch trying to play with these big boys.

I just got in a good selection of Yamamoto, Ikas,Senkos, Crawdads, and Cuttails.

There are 60 St Croix's on their way, both Premier and Avid.

Earthy's tying his famous hair jigs. I've already got his large and small Jigs along with some spinnerbaits.

I now have accounts with Northern Bass and Northland, and can order direct from Uncle Josh.

Falcon Cara's should be in soon.

We are authorized BPS Dealers.

We haven't even been in business for two years yet. Give us a chance, you won't be sorry.

Broadbill

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
While its nice to have a large shop kind of close.....Frank, you guys give good friendly service and are local so don't worry about anything......if they put one in Suffolk....then worry!:D

G

·
I like the mom and pop feel

Frank and tony have been able to get me almost anything I have ever wanted . Im sticking with Ronco ,Mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dont you worry Frank!! ... You're still ALOT more convienent than a half hour trek to Garden City .... It also helps your prices ARE NOT overinflated as many small tackle shops sometimes tend to be .... Having a product avaialble on demand is much more appealing than having to wait for shipping or go for a longish drive ... Specially the night before a tournament or fishing outing! ;) ...

Even though Galyan's is nice .. they still dont offer the convienence that the small tackle shop like you or Causeway can ... and most likely will not be as friendly and personable to us Long Island Bassers either .... Both stores serve a purpose, and who knows, maybe seeing that large freshwater section in a major sporting goods / outdoor store will entice some more people to try this great sport of freshwater fishing that we all love .... That would be good for us all!

Who knows ... You might even make some new customers out of that ... People tend to gravitate to the local tackle shop for the "inside info" especially when starting out trying something new ... And that info I doubt will ever be as prevelant at a store like Galayan's as it is at your place or the local tackle store elsewhere on the island ....

See you soon! :beerchug:

Chris

1 - 20 of 39 Posts