The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever considered using this for fishing? I realize it's not ideal, but a johnboat or kyak is not an option for me unfortunately b/c of storage issues. I feel that I'd much rather fish off of one of these rather than a cramped inflatable 2 person raft...

If so, anyone know which lakes these would be allowed in NY? I'm in Westchester and would be willing to drive 2hrs one way.

·
Administrator
11,521 Posts
Sorry don't like the idea. Does not sound safe, and doubt it's allowed

·
Administrator
21,674 Posts
there are so many rules about crafts in NY: I also highly doubt you would get approval on that thing. What IS allowed almost anywhere, is the Porta bote.....takes very little storage space

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I won't say you can't use it.... but I think the moment you put a motor on it (even electric) - you'll have an issue as pretty much every state requires registering anything with a motor.

If you were just paddling/pushing with a pole - might be able to get away with it somewhere quiet where people don't gripe much - but I'd doubt any public park/land would allow it - for example Harriman is pretty specific about kayaks - making sure people do not use paddleboards from my recollection. Can't see how a floating dock would pass!

J.

·
Registered
112 Posts
They make an inflatable kayak that looks pretty good and sea eagle has a large inflatable that looks stable. Ive seen set ups like that square dock, they don't move through the water very well and are really noisy.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I had a 10ft Sea Eagle Fisherman inflatable, it had a hard floor, two pedestal seats very comfortable and stable. I think I pad about $1,100.00. Took about 15 mins to set up and inflate.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
It was called the Stealth Stalker goes for about $1,300.00 now comes with transom motor mount.

·
Crass Angler
9,915 Posts
We are sponsored by Hobie, but I do think you should check this boat out. It's designed with storage issues in mind, plus it has Mirage Drive, which I almost can't go without anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We are sponsored by Hobie, but I do think you should check this boat out. It's designed with storage issues in mind, plus it has Mirage Drive, which I almost can't go without anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have the Hobie Mirage i12s inflatable with the 360 Mirage drive. Fold up into a case that fits in the back of my SUV and stores in a closet. Great kayak and fishing platform.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Porta bote seems like a viable option. Anyone know where this can be legally used in NY? I frequent Kensico reservoir, am only 20min south of it but would be willing to travel 1 hr upstate.

·
Administrator
11,521 Posts
Porta boat can be used at launch and recovery lake not the reservoirs

·
Crass Angler
9,915 Posts
Mdgins, you have any pics you can PM of that boat in action? I'd love to see how you set it up.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You can use anything you like. But once you put a motor or engine on it, it is a motor vehicle as described by NYS Vehicle and Traffic law. They state anything powered by other than human means that doesnt run on rails. (in a nutshell). So if its powered then it needs a registration and hull numbers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts