The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I will be fishing the passaic river tomorrow and was looking to see what it is like there. I will be bringing waders for greater distance in the water. Also I heard they stock northerns there. Thanks.

Nick

·
Registered
782 Posts
water tends to be dark even when it hasnt seen rain....plenty of Northern Pike in there.... a variety of other gamefish....lm, smallmouth....rare walleyes....and stripers below the great falls....also panfish and carp if thats your fancy....gotta put your time on the passaic but the fish are there....

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra
1,841 Posts
I can remember a few years back launching across the street from Elmwood Park HS.......the water can be a little disgusting....so don't fall in. Lots of tiny fish.....

·
Registered
782 Posts
Do you have a spot in mind to go to? If not, pm me, I know an area with a lot of bankside space.

The Northern pike can be found throughout the whole river....the bass are a bit more concentrated....fish the obvious stuff for them as a high percentage of the river is just mud banks and bottom....as mentioned, the bass tend to run on the small side but there are a some 3 + ers in there and some a tad bigger....the northern pike rule the roost on the river though....

·
Registered
956 Posts
Echo the comments. Only fished it once and launched across Elmwood Park HS. Caught a few small smallmouth and a baby nortnern two years ago. The water is dirty looking and so is the scernery. Always looking fora body to float by Ha Ha. Lots of trash in the river unfortunately. The river needs some big weedbeds to clear the water and make better habitat. It is coming back however. Funny to see smallmouth in it.
Steve A

·
Registered
590 Posts
The Smallies were always there but not as many as now. You can catch Pike on every section all the way up beyond Livinston. I have seen Pike that must have pushed 20 pounds. ThEy were put in to control the Carp. The river hs always been silty once it passes through the Big Piece Meadows. The distanc by car from the kayak launch at the Pio Costa commercial park at the intersection of rt 46 and Bloomfield Ave to the two bridges in Fairfield is about 4 miles. By boat it's 12. Much of the river bottom is soft mud that you don' t want to get stuck in so be careful. The river's reputation is based on pollution levels that haven't existed for years. They were due to businesses that dumped stuff into the river that are no longer there. There was a newspaper article from a local paper quoting the mayor of Passaic assaying there should not be any swimming allowed in the river. It should be reserved for industrial purposes, that was 1923.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.