The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Kayak fisherman
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually go out on the canal in Upstate New York, by lock 18 and usually land at least 3 14"+ smallies in an hour, around 7:30pm on a mepps #3 dressed spinner and a black mister twister and jig head.

The last week or two I have not been getting the same action. I cast parallel about 6ft out from rock structure.

The water is definitely warmer than it was a few weeks ago.

Any advice on what lures and where I should be fishing for these smallies in this body of water? Thank you.

·
Kayak fisherman
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any tips? I tried a new spot and landed 3 decent smallies, in about 7 ft of water near some vegetation, not near my usual rocky spot.

I tried that same spot last night and only one bite, any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
388 Posts
The bite has been slow lately it's not just you. Smallies like some current but relate to breaks keep that in mind. Sections of the canal that separate from the river itself fish more like reservoirs. Try not to fish memories by going bak to the same spots with the same baits over and over. Look for new, similar spots and watch the weather trends, current and water clarity and adjust accordingly. I live in the area feel free to PM or email me if you want to compare notes.

·
Kayak fisherman
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you get my private msg? I sent it twice but was not sure it actually sent because it didn't show up in the sent messages window.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts