The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am going to Vegas in a few weeks. My mother retired and lives there. Just wondering if there is any fishing around there that you guys might know of?

Lake Powell is a little far for me to get to. I was hoping closer to Vegas proper.

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went in October....

Wandy...I went in october and fished Lake Mead for Stripers!...i rented a boat from "Lake Mead Marina"...but to tell you the truth..i fished a spinner bait for about ten minutes and the water was so beautiful and crystal clear i dove in!...i spent the day exploring the shores and coves stopping to fish and when i got no bites i would climb the cliffs along the lake and dive in!...it is a beautiful lake...too beautiful maybe!...good luck!

Kilrbil

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Overton Beach

I am going to shore fish around Overton Beach rather than use a guide or rent a boat. Pretty easy to walk that area and since i won't have sonar it won't be much better than if I had a boat (sort of).

·
Bass Angler
1,348 Posts
Lake Mead

Wandy,
Lived in Vegas for six years. Great LM bass fishing from shore in March and April. The Overton Arm (west shore)or North of the Vegas Wash areas are great. Look for for deep cuts that back into dry creek beds. Fish by reeds and sunken bushes. You will need a 4 wheel drive vehicle or be prepared to hike. I used a 65 VW Beetle. Because live lizards are all over the place, plastic lizards work great. Watch out for rattlesnakes (and I am not kidding).
Nick A

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was in las Vegas with my fiancee last year and we rented boats (unfortunately not for fishing) from the Lake Mead Marina, they were pretty helpful there. The water is crystal clear and and it's easy to get info and tips on where to fish. When you're walking down the docks at the marina, you'll see hundreds of huge carp and catfish coming to be fed.
From there we visited the next tourist stop, Hoover dam. Looking over the dam at the crystal clear water 75 feet or so below, you can see schools of nice big fish gathered in the shallower water.
This was,by far, the most frustrating part of the whole trip.
If you're interested in seeing any other sites out there, you should check out red rock canyon.

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vegas BABY!!!

My mom's been living there for about 10 years and I go out 3-4x/year. I have been to overton before but never fished so it is easy to get to and I thought maybe I would try to wet my line a little. they also rent boats there but i was thinking of just hiking around the shoreline. It is going to be around late jan. and I am not sure what the fishing is like around there.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was supposed to go to Vegas late in 2001. After 9/11 my wife didn't want to fly, so we cancelled the trip. I had booked a day with a guide on Lake Mead for while we were there. When he mailed me my refund he also mailed me some photos from the client he took out instead of me....the picture showed his client at the cleaning station with a table covered with 3-10lb Stripers....

I have also heard that the LM fishing can be great, though most of the guides target the Stripers. Easier to find...

I have a strict policy...when I travel I ALWAYS book a day with a guide...for around $200 you get on the water with someone who knows the ropes...after that I can always go back to the same areas on my own.

Have a good trip.

Noam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts