The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out on Saturday night on Conesus. Fished from 10pm to 1am.

It was my first time night fishing and it was a really cool experience. Went with 2 friends of mine. The full moon gave us some visibility and we boated 6 fish, all keepers on black spinnerbaits with a large Colorado blade and a rattle. I had one fish on (Couldn't tell if it was a bass) and it broke off at the boat. If it was a bass it was a really good fish. Not being able to see much really made you focus on feeling your spinnerbait in the water and the strikes seemed really aggressive.

It was a really cool experience and I would recommend it if you haven't done it before. Make sure your nav lights are good and bring a couple flashlights.

One strange thing was it didn't seem to matter where we were on the lake there were fish busting EVERYWHERE. Almost to the point where it was annoying. Can anyone shed some light on what they could be? Panfish eating surface bugs maybe? Any casts made toward them didn't yield any bass so I figured they were smaller fish.

Also, if anyone wanted to share their night fishing tips, experiences, ETC that would be cool too.

Justin

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of night fishing!! It's my favorite time to fish. Your non-visual senses become enhanced and you start to understand and rely upon sound and touch a lot more than in the day.
My best advice is to practice safety...clean deck, keep extraneous crap out of the way. Stay hydrated as well. Other than that keep a log and pay attention!! As in the day you'll learn something new every trip.

As for the surface activity....awesome isnt it? You probably heard alewives flitting the surface for bugs. Certainly can be all kinds of baitfish up top eating evening hatch bugs and just being active on the surface. Also could be bird and/or bat wings causing a commotion. If you hear an irregular amount of this activity, there may be bigger fish there. But otherwise you'll generally haul water if you try and cast into those schools. If you notice they are more active and louder near any cover fish it more!!
Black lights and flourescent line help you see a lot!
ENJOY!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts