The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to post a quick report. Me and a buddy drove up to Lake Taghkanic Saturday and rented a rowboat for the day. This was only my third time bass fishing and first time on my own, so to speak, my buddy had never been fishing before and was along for the ride. Thunderstorms the entire ride from NYC to the lake but let up just in time for some beautiful weather. Nothing seemed to be biting in the first few spots so we started rowing out of the cove and I cast out an inline spinner just for fun and sure enough the second cast, I got me a bass!

Water Smile Vertebrate Fisherman Outdoor recreation

4 lbs, 12 oz.
Man did it get my heart racing!

Caught in about 6 ft of clear, greenish water (not sure of the temp) in heavy 2ft vegetation.

Had a few other bites and three other small fish but that fish pretty much made my day. Unfortunately, my pal got skunked and didn't catch a thing, but he was so stoked to be on the lake he said it didn't matter. After noon we should have realized it was time to pack it in when we didn't see any other fisherman out on the lake.

Anyways, I'm definitely hooked! Trying to move things around to go out again this weekend, maybe to Harriman.

Cheers!

·
bass addict
7,298 Posts
nice fish.how much to rent the boat?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nice Job...enjoy that feeling...

Boating: Visitors may bring their own boat/kayak to enjoy on the
lake. No gas powered motors are allowed. All boats must have a
permit. Season long permits are $30, and weekly permits are $10.
Both are available at the office. Seasonal boat storage is available
for $10.
Fishing: Is allowed during park hours. Everyone over the age of
16 must possess a NYS fresh water fishing license.
Hunting: Bow hunting only. Deer and turkey may be taken in
designated areas during season.
Boat Rentals: Rowboats, kayaks, and paddleboats are available for rent from Memorial Day weekend through late October .
Rowboats/Paddleboats/Kayaks/Canoes— $40 deposit;
$10 per hour $40 per day

1 - 10 of 10 Posts