The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my two fishing buddies and I decided it was time to feed our addiction and purchase some chest waders. Before I go out there and get myself killed I was hoping you guys could give me a rundown of DEC locations on the island that are safe for wading and some trouble spots that I should avoid (sinkholes, lochness monster, etc). If you would like to throw in some tips for wading I'm all ears for that as well. Thanks guys!

-Dan

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Well, I'm no expert but I do use my waders a lot. Some guys say to carry a stick with you and a rope, I guess so you can feel ahead of where you're going. especially if you don't know the lake and are going to wade pretty far. I don't do that, but I don't usually go too far anyway. And usually only wade in waters I know. Also, you have to go slowly and feel the bottoms taking one little step at a time (especially the first time you're at a particular pond or lake). Sometimes the bottom can be nice and hard and then all of a sudden you hit a hole or a soft spot. And keep this in mind-some of those soft spots are extremely close to shore. I went to the north end of one lake and it was great for wading, hard as a rock on the bottom. Went another time to that same lake and went to the south end of the lake. As soon as I got in, it was soft and I started sinking right away. Could have been pretty dangerous.

The fishing with my waders has been awesome. Sometimes, just getting out a llittle further to cast, or to fish parallel to the shore results in excellent fishing. For certain small bodies of water, waders may be better than a boat, since the waders give you access to spots that shore fishermen don't have.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.