The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first fish finder, Lowrance Elite 4x HDI, and will be going out this weekend in the canoe. I'll be fishing 5-20 ft water max going for perch mostly, maybe shallow walleye if they're in there. Mostly still fishing and maybe drifting a bit. It's fairly weedy where I'll be fishing, so any advice on fish finder tricks/settings for this kind of environment, etc would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
11,521 Posts
I don't know unit but a good rule of thumb in my book on any depth finder is turn the "fish finder mode" off none of work right and in a weedy lake you'll get enough false reading to drive you crazy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pantucci,

Don't know how you made out with it but I got my first fish finder last spring and learned about it all summer. The first thing I learned was that it works more effectively to map the lake or body of water you are on. As your canoe will be continually moving and the fish are constantly on the move also, it's unrealistic to think the fish you see under your boat will be there by the time you get your lure to them. Instead, use the depth finder to find holes and drop offs and fish those areas. I used it for the first time last year on a NYC reservoir that holds bass and brown trout. The fish finder saved the day as it showed me that the fish were holding at 30-40 ft. deep. I used colored depth line (different color every 20 ft) with a fairly long leader to get down to exactly the right depths. My buddy and I pulled in a few gorgeous, muscly browns, 4-5 lb. range. Granted we fished for 5-6 hours but fighting them from 40 feet below us was worth it. I also used a drift anchor to slow me down when I was above a spot that held fish. It reduced my drift speed by about 50%. Last suggestion, get a detachable rod holder and attach it on the other side of the canoe (across from the depth finder). It makes paddling a bit more of a chore but affords you the ability to see the fish beneath your boat and have 10-15 seconds to adjust your line depth to match the depth of the fish before it reaches them. This year I want to get buoys to paddle around and mark spots that look promising, and attempt to drift from one to the other with minimal paddling. Good luck, and if you have any tips, pass them on. I'm sure I still have lots to learn about my fish finder and how to get the most use out of it.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Check out Yakattack. They have tons of mounting options for fish finders. They are designed for kayaks but easy enough to adapt to a canoe. I'm using their stuff on my res boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ManBearPig
8 Posts
Got my first fish finder, Lowrance Elite 4x HDI, and will be going out this weekend in the canoe. I'll be fishing 5-20 ft water max going for perch mostly, maybe shallow walleye if they're in there. Mostly still fishing and maybe drifting a bit. It's fairly weedy where I'll be fishing, so any advice on fish finder tricks/settings for this kind of environment, etc would be greatly appreciated!
Hey man, biggest mistake people make when buying a new depth finder is not reading the manual. Trust me, read the manual and you will learn a lot!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts