The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Long Islander Gone South
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a way to start the new year. Went fishing on a small Long Island pond with a friend today for a few hours. His second cast produced a 3lb LMB. For 4 hours of fishing we boated 7 bass, mostly from 12" to 1 1/2lbs. All caught on black hair jigs. While not a banner day, I'd love to have more days like this in January :)
Sure helps with the cabin fever.

As an added bonus, my buddy caught a 7' BPS rod with a Shimano Curado 101. I use left hand retrieve reels, so he gave me the reel. The year is already starting on the right foot :)

·
Smile, and enjoy life!!
2,160 Posts
bet i know where you were fishing.
possibly had to take a ferry???
my rod and reel went over the side of the crawdad there. nice smallies and fat largies.

red bps mh with a 101 and power pro on it. west side of lake in about 4-6 ft of water.

ps - how's the ramp looking.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That sounds like your gear Rob... I would return it if that was the case...

G

·
SmBass77

I can't believe it !!!!!
I had something to do with that setup...I bought the Reel for Robbie as a present !!!!
If in fact it IS the setup with the Power Pro and he told you exactly where you found it...Could it be possible that you could return his outfit?
I for one know he was totally bummed when it went over.
Welcome to the board;) .
Woody

·
Smile, and enjoy life!!
2,160 Posts
i'm just taking a guess guys. it was i belv a red bps rod craigo (he'd know the exact model.) gave me and a 101 woody hooked my poor a$$ up with, but sounds really familiar. i always had PP or floro on it. not sure what was on it that day.. maybe a spinnerbait??? i dragged a frigging salt water grappling hook over it repeatedly to try and retrieve it.

my dad scored some nice largies that day, and i lost a monster.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
nice job fishing, guys. i've been getting skunked the past few weeks. very few bites. saw a small pickerel yesterday. lost a pickerel a week ago, and lost a nice bass about a week ago. other than that, i'm getting very few bites. will keep trying.

been using: senkos, fat ika, ika, grub, drop shot. the only thing i've gotten a few bites on are the fat ikas.

·
MIA
526 Posts
smbass77

Nice job guys! I've been out a few times but, like Tomloge, got nothing but a few bites.
The weathers been great, though. Fishing a few times between Christmas and New Years, then again on New Years Day. I only hope the weather holds. From the sound of it, I'll be back out tomorrow (Saturday) morning. Maybe even catch something :D
I'f you don't mind my asking, what were they hitting???
(never mind. Just re-read your post.)
Rich

·
Long Islander Gone South
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Theole,

Just to make sure it was your gear.........what was the color of the spinnerbait??????? :)

Just kidding, and good memory, found it where you say you lost it, and it still had the spinnerbait attached lol. The rod cork was all eaten up and infested with little red worms, several guides were missing, so we left it there. Looks like its been in the water for some time. The reel is pretty nasty too, but it does go in free spool and it reels.....sounds and feels like an egg beater, and the level wind does not work. It may be salvagable with some work. Email me ([email protected]) your number and Ill give you a call. I live in Shirley so I'm not far and we can make arrangements so you can get your reel back. And the ramp is horrible and even more washed out then the last time I was there....about 3 years ago :)

Rich, all the bass came on 1/8oz and 1/16oz black hair jigs crawled slowly along the bottom.......great way to catch some gear and some bass as an added bonus :D

·
MIA
526 Posts
Just got myself a new Curado, so.... what size/color do you recommend for catching a Stradic. :D

·
Smile, and enjoy life!!
2,160 Posts
smbass
i'd love to see what it looks like. i'd also like to see the working condition and write a letter to shimano. they are sometimes willing to do a little something for an extreme story.

[email protected]

drop me an email and we'll chat
very noble of you by the way..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts