The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Protect the 2nd Amendment
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993 Chevy K1500...305...

Bucks going uphill (pretty steep). I changed the wires yesterday and the plugs 6 months ago...One thing I noticed is that the #1 wire has a pulsation that you can feel through the boot of the wire (at the plug)...cant feel it on any other wires...Don't know if this is related to the bucking problem or not...dont know if the old wire had the pulsation also...any ideas...still misses under load (uphill)... Thanks Matt

·
The Fishuation
5,011 Posts
Did it miss befor you changed the wires? If so, check the wire sequence, you might of F'd up 2 or more of the wires.

Make sure all the wires are snug at the plug end and the coil end. To do this, pull up the boot and make sure the clasp attached to the wire is snug against the connector.

Not a great idea to grab your wires whie the engines running. If you have a short or bad ground you'll get a free perm.

·
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rat...yeah the miss was before the wire change...changed em to fix the problem...didn't help at all...:mad: ...

·
Plastamaniac
541 Posts
is the miss constant and even or is it rambled. I have a 1991 Silverado with the 305 with 259,000 miles on it and I have
had this problem a few times and it has been a clogged fuel filter.....the miss I experienced was only only under load and
would lessen if I let up on the throttle a little..........use caution when changing the filter, the fuel lines are fragile but the
good news is NAPA carries replacements for about $20.00 and an hour to change.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree it sounds like a fuel related problem. You mention that it stumbles going up hills, what about a WOT from a standstill? Any hard starting? What rpm does it start to stumble?

Seth V

·
1,252 Posts
The chevy's require a new fuel line cause you break the orginal while you are changing the filter. Back in the day when I faced these challenges on a daily basis I would have some rubber fuel line & hose clamps in the correct dia. to make my filter change. That allowed me to DRIVE to the parts store for the new fuel line.:D

·
Plastamaniac
541 Posts
No special required just a little luck.
On the 350 cid the computer will through a lean mixture code but on the 305 it just misses. Kinda sucks for trouble shooting...plus GM was cheap and never installed a fuel pressure check point on the early models.

·
Plastamaniac
541 Posts
Paul_M said:
Back in the day when I faced these challenges on a daily basis I would have some rubber fuel line & hose clamps in the correct dia. to make my filter change. That allowed me to DRIVE to the parts store for the new fuel line.:D
You should be a gambling man....If I tried to do that my injectors would have clogged half way there. LOL

·
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guy's...ran pretty good tonight...I,m going to try the fuel filter and the distro cap next...

·
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info guy's...ran pretty good tonight...I,m going to try the fuel filter and the distro cap next...

Seth...on level ground or slight inclines its fine...even when I blow the carbon out:D ...

·
Got smallmouths???
1,313 Posts
Matt,

Distributor cap, rotor, plugs, wires and fuel filter are all good places to start, but keep in mind some of the problems that have plagued the 305. It is a great engine I have had many cars, trucks and vans with the 305, both carborated and injected, it's my next favorite Chevy engine after the 350, hopefully your problem is one of the above minor fixes.

305s with high mileage tend to have problems with the timing gears, they are nylon over metal and tend to wear out sometimes in the low 100k mile range, the camshaft in certain year ranges wear out in about the same range of mileage also, so that would be the next place to go if the minor fixes don't help.

Again it is a great engine, I've had them go 300k miles without problems and have had them die on me after 130k, it is just up to your maintanence habits and possibly the previous owners.

·
Plastamaniac
541 Posts
Scott E. said:
Matt,

but keep in mind some of the problems that have plagued the 305. Camhafts in certain year ranges wear out.
Again it is a great engine, I've had them go 300k miles without problems and have had them die on me after 130k, it is just up to your maintanence habits and possibly the previous owners.
Since the mid 80's GM has fixed the camshaft problem...Now if they would only address the rear seal issue....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts