The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Angler
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In reading Burney's thread, it seems like the there are some interesting ideas about the weights that will be brought in during next month's Elite Series event on the St. Lawrence. With us not getting into a "local vs tour pro", or "info vs no-info" debate, lets just see some weight predictions for the following:

Winning Weight:
Top 10 Weight:
Day Three top 12 Cut Weight:
Day Two Top 50 Cut Weight:

Respectfully,
CN

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
You guys are way to optomistic. This is not Falcon & the Smallmouth will be deeper & tougher to catch in August. 80 lbs Max for the winner if the weather co-operates. Lake Ontario is 80 miles away, & that`s just the entrance to the Lake. Any decent wind from any west direction & you`ll be lucky to get out of the Lake alive. Other factors with gates & Locks which will screw everybody up. Everybody is dreaming if you think this will be easy.

·
Registered
590 Posts
In reading Burney's thread, it seems like the there are some interesting ideas about the weights that will be brought in during next month's Elite Series event on the St. Lawrence. With us not getting into a "local vs tour pro", or "info vs no-info" debate, lets just see some weight predictions for the following:

Winning Weight:
Top 10 Weight:
Day Three top 12 Cut Weight:
Day Two Top 50 Cut Weight:

Respectfully,
CN
Winning Weight: 82.67Lbs
Top 10 Weight: 78
Day Three top 12 Cut Weight: 58.5 lbs
Day Two Top 50 Cut Weight: 36-38 lbs

I figure on day of weather will impact some guys runs, or kill a few fish. Just dont know what day it will be. Weather seems to change for me on Saturdays or Sundays. I will go for a Saturday change ha!

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
Lunker and SSSkeeter....

It may very well be more challenging, so lets see some weight predictions.

-CN
OK 80lbs wins it. Then you can interpolate from past tournaments what top 10 will weigh, 12 etc,etc,etc. It`s all a guess anyway, as weather can play a big part in this deal. Then you have the other "whether" factor. Whether the gates will be open or closed going upstream. If the gates are closed to raise the river level & the anglers have to use the Locks to get upstream to Lake Ontario, that will be a Major factor. You can get "LOCKED" out so to speak which will shorten the playing field. Weights will go DOWN as everybody will be sharing the same water. Too many unknown factors to make a REAL guess.
Regardless 80 lbs wins the big money. What do I get for predicting correctly?:laugh:

·
Catching is better...
4,643 Posts
Winning weight - 92 lbs
Top 10 weight - 80 lbs
Day 3 Top 12 cut weight - 58 lbs
Day 2 Top 50 cut weight - 34 lbs

Big Bag of the event 24-10
Big Bass of the event 6-4

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Ok, got a long hot walk in yesterday to think this over... since the start location has been changed gotta change prediction... locks gonna really screw things up... Cruiser wakes and speed zones will take its toll... Gonna be a pile of busted up equipment there... This is gonna play out like that Classic a few years ago... La.. long run vs short.

Winning Weight: 91 Lbs I guess breaking 90 would be a southern 100#s...
Day Three top 12 Cut Weight: 61.5 lbs
lunker will be over 7#s... maybe 6 fish over 6...
winning angler will be from california (Ish, Fred R),Japan(TAK) or texas(combs)... Ike also has a Lotta places up there. you will see alot of mixed bags at the top... Alot of areas up there where LGM and SMB hang out together... I'll go old school and somebody will win Dusty Pines style... Frog... I'm currently trying to weasle a few days off to be up there sun-wed for the practice period... this is Aug 15th-18th right?
Craig, send more G line!!!
Thats my report from here in the Mohawk valley... back to you Burnie...

·
Fishing out Loud
227 Posts
I was up in A-Bay this past weekend. There are still plenty of brown fish shallow but they are definately beginning to transition into their summer haunts. With that being said, I do not think you will see the 25-27 lb bags we have been seeing over the last couple of weeks. I think drop-shotting will be the most common pattern. I doubt the winner will run to the lake every day. Like mentioned, there are just so many variables with that run...boat traffic through the narrows, wind, etc. Also keep in mind that if you get a day with a strong east wind that place can be goofy to try and drift and drive weights down. I do predict a very tight leaderboard.

Winning Weight: 85 lbs (still very respectable)
Top 10 Weight: 76 lbs
Day Three top 12 Cut Weight: 75 lbs
Day Two Top 50 Cut Weight: 68 lbs

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I was up in A-Bay this past weekend. There are still plenty of brown fish shallow but they are definately beginning to transition into their summer haunts. With that being said, I do not think you will see the 25-27 lb bags we have been seeing over the last couple of weeks. I think drop-shotting will be the most common pattern. I doubt the winner will run to the lake every day. Like mentioned, there are just so many variables with that run...boat traffic through the narrows, wind, etc. Also keep in mind that if you get a day with a strong east wind that place can be goofy to try and drift and drive weights down. I do predict a very tight leaderboard.

Winning Weight: 85 lbs (still very respectable)
Top 10 Weight: 76 lbs
Day Three top 12 Cut Weight: 75 lbs
Day Two Top 50 Cut Weight: 68 lbs

This. I was going to say 85 lbs to win, so I'll just agree with the rest too. :laugh:

·
Catching is better...
4,643 Posts
What is the Day Two Cut Weight? I always took it to mean at the end of Day 2 the amount of weight an angler would need to finish in the top 50 and advance to Day 3??

RedHawk22 and Purdue - does it mean something else to you... because the way I define Day 2 cut weight your numbers would mean everyone in the top 50 would average 34 lbs a day or higher for the first two days of the event.

Or does Day Two Cut Weight mean something else??

·
Fishing out Loud
227 Posts
What is the Day Two Cut Weight? I always took it to mean at the end of Day 2 the amount of weight an angler would need to finish in the top 50 and advance to Day 3??

RedHawk22 and Purdue - does it mean something else to you... because the way I define Day 2 cut weight your numbers would mean everyone in the top 50 would average 34 lbs a day or higher for the first two days of the event.

Or does Day Two Cut Weight mean something else??
I had a brain fart. I took what I thought the daily average would be and multiplied by 4. Those would be some large 2 day weights!!!! Divide that by 2 and that's my number haha.

Day 3 Cut Weight: 57 lbs
Day 2 Cut Weight: 34 lbs

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Bass up there are getting much bigger every year... Fish are just fat fat fat... The real tough part up there will be catching a bunch of bass but not trying elsewhere... guys might camp out too long when they are biting but no huge ones... Also the fact that predictions here are for 100#s to win may throw guys off... I guessing NYbass has alot of elite lurkers...
These guys see the cover/current/places to fish, eyes will be buggin'... Fla. guys will feel at home too... the lane brothers could find some nice flats and pound them with a cane toad... Gonna be a mixed bag to win some largemouth on a frog/spook, smallmouth maybe not so deep... Maybe Tommy biffle digs into his logbook and beats all the young guys up there... Gonna be interesting thats for sure... Too bad this isn't in Clayton... French creek is one one the most famous tourney sites ever... weigh ins coulda been right in town at the new landing and pavilion... Steak at Obriens nice too... when the time comes please post web times for the weigh ins... back to you Cus...

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.