The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very simple... pick 3 guys you predict to win the elite series... Throw in a little smacktalk too...

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My picks:
1. Tommy Biffle... just won a tourney with smallmouth... maybe bring that biffle bug up here and crunch em... He's been up here alot in the past too... he could bring in a good combo bag... He's been known to throw a jig in heavy cover... and throw a ribbit...
2. Takahiro Omori... butchered the spelling... has spent alot of extra time up there the last few years... seen where he was fishing... around nice largemouth...
3. Chris lane... Lotta spots up there offer "Florida" water... shallow flats, weeds matts, etc... he might rog and jig some monsters...

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Lots of good choices.

1. KVD:tough to not pick him here with his experience and past wins on the river. Granted they were a number of years ago but KVD can never be counted out

2. Ike:I'm not sure why but I have a feeling here. He fishes the Northerns and has a ton of experience in SM waters. Just a wildcard pick for me.

3.John Crews:Why not, he's having a solid season and in the top 10 of points this years I believe.

·
Not so lost...
3,676 Posts
1) kvd- just seems like he's over due and for the above SM reason.

2) Brandon P- he's had a fine season and it just seems like he'll be in the running.

3) Ike- between experience and the opens, seems like a sure fire top 5 finish.

I find it quite interesting that "we" consider this to be another down year for KVD and yet last I looked he was in shooting distance for AOY.

I like the Crews pick as a "why not", real nice guy and I'd love to see him win won. Quite honestly though, if I had a preference, I'd like to see Clunn win so we would get to see him at the next Classic.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
KVD just becuase he's not happy sitting in 3rd for AOY and he digs smallies... I mean come on we're talking KVD need I say more

E2 ... current AOY front runner and this guy's in good shape and ready to extend his lead, he's got a big appetitie and some fat goby rich smallies are on the menu.

and

Rick Morris ... northern boy born & breed... sometimes overlooked, but he's enjoyed a pretty solid pre-fish and now has a better idea of what this big river fishery offers

Should be interesting to say the least and look for all smallies from these guys

Let the games begin

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
well my BASS fantasy team is very close to these top picks as well.

these are the three guys I'd love to see win it!

Shaw E Grigsby - he just loves SM fishing but he's in pool C with Ike - who I too have a feeling he might just do a little better?

Rick Clunn - it would just be awesome to see him win one again! If he can get them going on crank baits - he could be a factor for sure!

(2 for # 3) Had to go with both Vandams for this one, as they both completely understand SM fishing....

Its going to be a great tournament and to be completely honest anyone could win this - these pro's all have what it takes and if they can just put it together and figure out something a little different??? Can't wait to see the results!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ish- always does well in New York, n where the tournament launches from definitely suits him well
Charlie Hartley- different pick and will either be top 10 or 85 lol but he is an excellent smallmouth guy
Aaron martins- he is just the king of the drop shot!

·
Registered
229 Posts
1,. kvd he's third in aoy. and the last event is on st clair. i'd say he has all the motivation needed.

2. Rick Clunn. the only elite that has more experience on the islands is welll noone. except maby paul elias.

3. alton jones.... he stopped by my shop and said something that just makes me think hmmmmm

darkhorse. amart. dropshot nuff said

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
A lot will depend on the weather. If they can get to the BIG LAKE , KVD, nephew & the japaneze elites will do well. If not, it`s anybodies game who knows how to fish smallmouth. That means they know how to throw a spinnerbait, & or drop-shot. I think most of the Elites know what a spinnerbait is?:laugh:
A Largemouth might be Lunker, but you CAN`T win with Largemouth. If Ricky Clunn can forget Largemouth & follow the old Masters(DG) instructions, he might do well.
Tommy Biffle knows the river well, & he should do well. Winning 4 day weight--80 lbs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
BP. Smallmouth master. Should've won with brown fish at the last elite event by a HUGE margin.

Ike. He did well at Oneida and is feeling good.

Chris Z. I know you think I'm crazy, but the tournament will be won on the lake, guaranteed, the guy who just won the Canadian Open had 27 lbs on day 3, and CZ has all those waypoints on his graph. Running an hour and a half will be worth it to get 25 in 3 hrs. Easy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Shaw He loves the 1000 isles

Ike He is due

James Niggemeyer look at his NY results over the last few years

The person who took Kurt Dove; on Friday at the Open at Oneida I was next to him. I could spit in his boat. there were six boats all bumper to bumper out on Oneida. I watched him cull in ten minutes. We were boat 130 and got to the spot, he was already there. I watched him catch 2 and start culling he put a show on. Everyone was catching fish out there, but he was hammering them at a 3-1 pace compared to everyone else. Nice Pick!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Edwin Evers
Aaron Marten
Kurt Dove

I also had a chance to fish next to Kurt on both days of the Open. What a drop shot fisherman!!! I had a chance to fish with his Berger King teammate Paul Pagnato ( Awesome guy) and they fished next to one another at a couple spots. what a clinic he put on, but the big bites eluded him. I learned a lot just watching his technique for a few hours.

·
Fish hard and prosper
193 Posts
Brandon Palaniuk- new blood
Kevin VanDam- Turn and Burn
Aaron Martens- Professor Dropshot

I can see Ike in the top 5 as well. Kevin owns smallies and has done so for many years. If Brandon plays his cards right, he can own this one.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
heading up to Clayton saturday for Tuffy test ride days... how is the river water level this year?? was a bit ugly last oct...
you think anybody gonna show up to this with a bigger deep V??
the results of this tourney will be quite the economic impact for the area for years to come... once word gets out of the fishing up there...
maybe some 7# smallmouth weighed in?? Somebody might find some super deep pattern...
how bout davey hite...

·
Registered
192 Posts
A-mart: best with spinning rod in his hand and using his electronics for big smallies.

Kota Kirayama: will have a special bait they never saw before like he did on Erie in 2008 when he whacked 95 lbs of big bronze.

Todd Faircloth: just a hunch.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ummm... I had the dates for this all wrong... thought it was next week...

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
KVD!! I predicted him to be one of the possible winners, now I`m pretty sure. He`s fishing different than everybody else & he`s in a good area. JVD is within walking distance, but he`s not KVD yet. Saturday will be a difference maker with breezy/windy conditions. It will be who can fish their fish better in the wind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.