The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Edbassman
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post and I wanted to talk about early spring bassin' and what is your favorite way to catch em'. I'm located on Long Island and I also fish Sullivan County. I have been going out and getting either no fish at all, or one or two fish on chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits and jigs. Any tips on what to use in water temps that are in the high 30s, low 40s? Thanks and Tight Lines!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
as it starts warming up, I would try in-line spinners and small plastics swim baits (like Keitechs, Bekleys). Any of the ones with the paddletail or boot tails. The past few years those have worked really well for me in April and May. Also, shallow running crankbaits like Manns Baby 1-. I've had some good luck with those.

·
Edbassman
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ok, Thanks Ill try that when i go out this weekend!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I like jigs and grubs this time of year water is warming up quick so spinnerbait shallow cranks will be a part of that too good luck.

·
Unicorn Chaser
871 Posts
Most longisland ponds are in the low 50s or high 40s alrdy, you can even try top water at this point lol! Jigs always work, this time of year especially on the windy days a Colorado spinnerbait in a bluegill or perch color almost always produces.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Was out this morning in the cold and wind. Caught 9 bass and 1 monster pickerel. All fish but the pickeral were caught off the bank in deeper water on rattletraps and crankbaits. The pickerel was caught on a trick worm in the reeds. I wouldn't invest to much in crankbaits because in another month they will be more or less useless once the weeds start growing on LI lakes. As Seb said, stick to spinnerbaits, jigs, texas rigged worms and soft 4-5" swim baits. Good luck.

·
Edbassman
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback guys! Tight Lines this season!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts