The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the local regular and it was fishtank city again today....only like 5 keepers all day......No topwater,no crankbait, a few on spinnerbaits nut nothing great......circling the place a few times trying to get at least something nice , so I switch to dropshot and bam....1st cast.....3.2# Sammy Hagar.....Was long but kinda thin......Met a few guys on the lake who we plan on fishing with in the future at some new spots.....Here's the best of the day!!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice fish brother,I see you got some wicked line twist.
I have to change line today....been using that line for @ a month and I use that rod only for drop shot....I use mono that is very inexpensive to replace. I usually change a spool every few trips once drop shotting gets really good.....the bite this year hasn't kicked in yet and fishing has been slow so I'm not throwing that rod as much as normally do.....good observation!!Any suggestions to help w/ twist?...I guess I could put a swivel a foot or so above the hook........thanks Johnnewwinsdor

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
try a much shorter tag line (to the weight - 18"). Also since I've switched to the smallest inline swivel (I tie it about 8" above the hook) its been great on how less the line twists have been. Just takes longer to rig up, but the nice thing is you can have pretied (line / hooks) and that's a quicker change on the water just tying to the swivel.

Mark

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
I have to change line today....been using that line for @ a month and I use that rod only for drop shot....I use mono that is very inexpensive to replace. I usually change a spool every few trips once drop shotting gets really good.....the bite this year hasn't kicked in yet and fishing has been slow so I'm not throwing that rod as much as normally do.....good observation!!Any suggestions to help w/ twist?...I guess I could put a swivel a foot or so above the hook........thanks Johnnewwinsdor
Nice fish.

Just a quick tip. I use InvisX 6# line on my drop shot rigs. It's three years old now, without respooling. The oldest spool was recently replaced with 6# Tatsu. Yes, both lines are pricey, but givent the longevity, it's more than worth it. Tatsu is only incrememntally better than Invisx, so that's what I recommend, since it's 1/2 the price of Tatsu. As with all lines, I pretreat with a squirt of KVD L&L the night before any trip. To remedy line twist, troll out the first 30 yards or so of line, on your way back to the launch site. Then reel back in under pressure of your thumb and for finger. And forget the swivel - too many knots, and it's a pain.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jfranco....Thanks for your input.....been dropshotting for awhile and got pretty good at it..........do all the stuff you mentioned..........I think same as you about the swivel but remain openminded.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts